03-20-2024, 12:51 PM   #33
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
I don't use CarPlay for anything. Is it better?
The answer is subjective but, for many people, yes, dramatically better. I have much better control of the music on my iPhone than the native interface but the game changer for me is the Waze app that I use for navigation. Not only is it more accurate than the native application, live data is crowd sourced to provide info on traffic, construction, obstacles, potholes, police, etc. It's probably not of great use for those who live and drive in rural areas due to limited crowd sourced info but for those living in cities and metro areas, it's immensely helpful. Of course, the info is only as good as the data input (other drivers reporting events) so it isn't 100% accurate but it's so much better than any alternative.

On one occasion, it helped me to avoid missing my flight, re-routing me on a trip to the airport due to a serious accident that delayed traffic on my normal route for hours (I live on the opposite side of the Mississippi River from the airport so routes to the airport are limited). On another occasion on a trip from St. Louis to Florida, it re-routed me because of a major bridge closed for emergency construction at Memphis, saving me approximately 2 hours on my trip.

On numerous occasions, Waze has warned me of objects on the road, enabling me to be aware and avoid them.

Additionally, my other vehicle is a Subaru but, because it also supports CarPlay, all locations and destinations saved with Waze, are accessible on both vehicles. Because of all this, I virtually never drive without Waze, even when driving other cars and rentals that support CarPlay.
Appreciate 5