Thread: Soft Top Care
View Single Post
      04-08-2024, 01:46 PM   #59
amutti
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Convertible M240i Xdrive

I’ve owned seven convertibles, six were soft tops, two BMWs - a couple for more than 7 years.

They are designed to get wet and be in the elements. Obviously, they will last longer if you baby them (I’ve never gotten close to having one leak). Even an occasional touchless car wash with all the harsh chemicals are not going to have a significant negative impact (or even, dare I say, a touch car wash). If you garage your car, even better.

Here is my $.02.

I would never use a pressure washer with a pressure attachment directly on a soft top. It’s likely to tear if you are not careful, as well as too deeply clean (take off the protectant). However, I’ve used automotive foaming car wash products (chemical guys for example) with a foam cannon (low pressure) without any issues. A car wash mit isn’t going to hurt anything either except if it sheds on the roof. I like a soft brush and a soft top specific cleaner.

As far as waterproofing treatments and cleaners, the BMW brand ones works fine. I’ve gone the route of mostly using Chemical Guy products and think thier product are great. I’ve used 303 too. They all work. How often you need to reapply depends on your individual situation - if water isn’t beading very well it’s probably time to apply a fresh coat. For me, I just do it once a year during the summer. I’m sure I could get away with less often.

With any of the protectants, take precautions to keep it off the paint. Once dry the stuff is hard to get off (think bad water spot).
Appreciate 6
Rcasa20179.00
SpeedyATL1926.00
BmwIowa49.50
stlcdr1020.50