View Single Post
      07-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #567
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
There are a lot of very nice and lovingly maintained Z3's in my town so I won't diss them. But despite their high sales numbers, Richard Hammond of Top Gear did call them "a bit girlie". The later E85 Z4 was a much more potent performer, although sales were hampered by its controversial Bangle flame- surface styling (which - guess what - I like), low feedback electric steering, and awful run flat tires (which I've replaced with Michelin PSS in my car).

Re the N54, I understand that it had issues with the high pressure fuel pumps; that was a common issue on the first E89 SDrive 35I Z4's. The later N55 is a much more reliable power plant.

The old Top Gear Z4 review:

Just want to touch base on a few points. The e85 still had the hydraulic steering which is awesome. I love driving my friends e85, and I am jealous of the steering feel. On my e89 Z4 I did improve steering feel and response with m3 upper/ lower control arms, better bushings, and an very god strut bar. But you're right the electric steering is built in a way that it will never match the feel of hydraulic.

For n54, the hpfp was only an issue in early years. I think from 2011 on it was improved. I know for certain 13'/'14 model years had zero issue.

btw I love that Top Gear review for the e85. I also liked the e89 one from Top Gear. Its unfortunate though Fifth Gear compared the regular 35i to a Boxster S, which is a higher trim level. I think the 35is vs Boxter S would have been a better comparison, but why cry over spilt milk.

The Z3 was grossly underpowered and did not have enough kit. I do agree that my e89 is bloated in comparison, but I do like all the creature comforts and the n54 is an amazing engine that is very easy to mod for 400+ whp, 4xx+ tq. As you can see by my signature I'm also heavily modded.
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4465.00