Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
... or vice versa
do you?
Admittedly, if I could have bought an M40i for perhaps a $4K premium over the s30i, I'd have been very tempted. I'd have even tried to rationalize the added cost, and I've gotten pretty good at rationalizing (lying to myself) about luxuries.

I've priced both models out comparably equipped, resulting in a $12K difference. It wasn't that I couldn't afford it (I paid cash for my s30i). I just couldn't rationalize a $12K premium for the M40i when I truly love nearly everything about my s30i including it's performance.

I'm new to the BMW world so perhaps I don't hold the same reverence to the "M" as others do. My only disappointment is the lack of a HUD, available only with M40i for '22 models due to supply chain restraints. With availability of the HUD in '23 s30i models, my only regret is not waiting a few months to order a '23 s30i.

However, even if $12K had magically appeared at my front door to cover the difference, I'd have bought a s30i and invested the $12K elsewhere. The s30i is NOT the best Z4 but it's by far the best bang for the buck Z4, at least 95% of the pleasure for 80% of the cost. Full disclosure: in an earlier phase of my life, I very well may have chosen an M40i but I'm happy to have grown past that phase.

To those of you with an M40i, I salute you and have rare moments of envy toward you but I guarantee you do not have more fun with yours than I have with mine. FWIW, I'm genuinely happy both models are available because the availability of both models has helped to sustain production. There's a market for both.
Appreciate 2
ZVier61.00