View Single Post
      07-31-2017, 04:35 PM   #50
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
The X3 elements are new to me. I didn't know that.
But given what we know about BMW M, there's no doubt in my mind that they have the prowess and know-how to transform the "base" E89 chassis into one that meets the performance envelope.
No they couldn't have made an e89 m.
For that they always root around in their M parts bin.
And by opting for an x3 style rear axle (that is very similar to the e46 one), they also immediately decided that contemporary 3 series rear suspension stuff wouldnt work. E46 rear suspension parts (mainly the LSD) isnt/wasnt available anymore (at least, not in those numbers, you can only get refurbs now I think), so those parts werent on hand anymore in the numbers they would need them to be to create an M.
So they could have only made an e89 M if it wouldnt have an LSD, and I'm pretty sure that that wont happen ever.
And they're not going to start up a drivetrain fabrication plant just for a few e89 z4m possible sales. For that you need to sell in the 10k or 100k numbers (thats why they normally use m3 parts)

Everything on the GT3 might be homologation, but the truth is that there is not a single component on that cars drivetrain or suspension that would fit a normal E89. So that is not included in the rules of the homologation.

Its mostly a car that looks like an e89. (a non existing e89 coupe that is)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0