View Single Post
      03-13-2024, 01:50 PM   #11
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Ditto this.

Was even thinking of getting a 2024 X3 M40i, as it has ID7, before the “upgraded” 2025 X3 comes out with ID9 and virtually no physical controls.

Thankfully this trend towards all glass cockpits may have reached its peak:

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/n...ttons-says-eu/

I think some of the difference of opinion has to do with why someone buys a particular car in the first place. The latest tech is usually hopelessly outdated within a few years, especially the most cutting edge and expensive features. But if you buy or lease a new car every few years and want the latest and greatest, this is a feature rather than a bug. A new Z4 with older ID7 is a problem in this context.

But for buyers who prioritize driving experience over tech, and possibly want to hang on to their vehicles for an indefinite amount of time, I think the lack of any bleeding edge tech or features is a virtue.

Not sure I understand the comparison with the Z8 - no current BMW has an interior like the Z8 as that car was built as a styling homage rather than a tech showcase. And it cost $128k, which works out to north of $200k today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
The Z4 gauge cluster already looks dated IMO compared to new ID8 curved screens being rolled out into all BMW’s now.
It will continue to look more and more dated as the years roll by. This style cluster is now 5-6 years old?

Just as a comparison take a look at the Z8, it’s analog but IMO the gauges look classy and not as dated as one would expect for a car a over coupe decades old….the most dated part of that interior is the Atari grade radio graphics.
Appreciate 2