BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Brake dust

05-10-2024, 11:57 AM   #23
Joeshin87
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
My wheels are almost a coppery sheen right now. I gotta wash the car this afternoon for a show tomorrow. Can't wait to see the difference lol
same here lol. Planning on giving my car a wash on Saturday. Bought some Sonax wheel cleaners too. Unfortunately my car came with the cerium gray wheels but oh well. I was lucky enough to find a G29 M40i at a local dealership with everything else I wanted on a whim. Cerium gray makes the brake dust show very visibly.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 12:00 PM   #24
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeshin87 View Post
same here lol. Planning on giving my car a wash on Saturday. Bought some Sonax wheel cleaners too. Unfortunately my car came with the cerium gray wheels but oh well. I was lucky enough to find a G29 M40i at a local dealership with everything else I wanted on a whim. Cerium gray makes the brake dust show very visibly.
I've had gloss black wheels on my 30i and now I have the matte v-spokes on my M40i and let me tell you.. it's no different. None... still see it.. plain as day. lol we're all in this boat together. I've even had them ceramic'ed.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 01:15 PM   #25
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory-2 View Post
Tried to show with the temperature charts, maybe should have explained, that pads function differently based on the temperature they are designed for.
100% agree. Was trying to say the same thing, with the Ranger being an example of exactly that (poor matchup of pads and how it was driven). I might not have been very clear but we are on the same page as they say.

Last edited by tracer bullet; 05-10-2024 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2024, 01:49 PM   #26
BEAR-AvHistory-2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40, BMW M4C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
100% agree. Was trying to say the same thing, with the Ranger being an example of exactly that (poor matchup of pads and how it was driven). I might not have been very clear but we are on the same page as they say.
Yep!!! Think the thing is most guys will buy pads based on brand name or something they heard on the net. They typically don't understand the various applications of the pads.

So they never look at the heat ranges. HAWK HPS street base optimum is 100*F while the HP+ Street/AutoX pads base optimum is 300*F

Would never use HAWK pure track pads on the Cobra because its primary function is a street ride. Track pads would never get hot enough to be at optimum functionality.

Z4 M40i replacements would be HPS or a similar pad from another brand. Most of my high speed driving is continuous intestate speeds so the pads would always be in the optimum range.

They would also be effective right out of the garage.

Dravit Gray, 503BHP, AWD, Black Leather, Moonlight Roof, Red Calipers.
1965 Cobra Replica

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory-2; 05-11-2024 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 03:51 PM   #27
Argo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
Interesting that they market higher temperature pads as AutoX.

As someone who is a PCA AutoX instructor, I wouldn't really say high brake temperature is too much of a concern in most courses given the relatively short runs.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 07:58 PM   #28
BEAR-AvHistory-2
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
Interesting that they market higher temperature pads as AutoX.

As someone who is a PCA AutoX instructor, I wouldn't really say high brake temperature is too much of a concern in most courses given the relatively short runs.
The + pads are a crossover street to light competition & the temp range is not that high. For example their DTC-80 track pad is rated at

500-1700 F operating temperatures
600-1500 F optimal temperature range

The track pad is just getting started when the +pad is all done.

Expect its a coin flip. Operating temp is 100-800 while optimum is 300-600. With the ambient summer temps here mid 90's I don't think anyone is launching under 100 degrees just pulling out of their parking space & few brake test hits will up that quickly.

From a personal note the guy who lays out the course seem to like an immediate turn off the line then a pretty straight run into a very tight left or right. With a 2250lb car I can get to a brisk pace before the turn. Generally run the whole short course in 2nd gear.

With a full manual car in XP am not really completive in class as upper arm strength is down & turns are very tight. Mostly a fun day out.

Generally try to beat the "Old Farts Racing Team" who have some really nice cars but run in a different class.

Will take some temp reading next time I have the car out. Try to simulate a start through first turn at an empty big box lot. Might be a few days as we are expecting rain.

Sorry I can't get some real readings. Not running this summer as my surgeon wants my shoulder operation to fully heal and I am still in rehab.

Over stayed my body's welcome in martial arts.

1965 Cobra Replica

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory-2; 05-11-2024 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 01:35 PM   #29
BEAR-AvHistory-2
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quick look. Mothers Day is not a good day to play with the car so:

Car not driven today, sitting on the driveway.

Ambient Temp 76*F. Discs on the sunny side of the car 104*F. Car skin hot to the touch.

EDIT: Honey Do - a store run 3 miles & 4 stops each way limit 45MPH actual +10. 147*F back home

1965 Cobra Replica

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory-2; 05-12-2024 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2024, 11:57 PM   #30
RavenGX
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 G29 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenGX View Post
i switched to endless mx72p brake pads.
But i havent paid any attention to if they make more or less dust.
I'll have a look at my rims next time i go for a drive.
Looks a bit better with the current brakepads. Drove 4-5 times with the car since washing it, normally my wheels would be completely gray by now.

My wheels are also coated which helps in getting the dust off
Attached Images