BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum Reliability

05-07-2024, 11:37 PM   #1
Mike38
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW Golf 7

Reliability

Would you call the Z4 a reliable car? (if you own the Z4 for a long time)
Do you use it more as a weekend toy or a daily car?
Does anyone have only a Z4 (and no other car)?
Would you buy the Z4 again ?

Last edited by Mike38; 05-08-2024 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 12:41 AM   #2
Balr14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38 View Post
Would you call the Z4 a reliable car? (if you own the Z4 for a long time)
Do you use it more as a weekend toy or a daily car?
Does anyone have only a Z4 (and no other car)?
The Z4 is kind of my only car... my wife has an SUV, but she won't let me drive it. One of the reasons I bought the Z4 was reliability. I have owned several BMW models and I have done a ton of homework on them, to ensure I knew what I was getting, in view of their less than good reputation. Here's what I know:

All of the models I have owned were turbocharged and BMW wasn't very good at it, in the early years (2008 - 2016). The biggest problem with these models was they ran at very high heat, which damaged all plastic parts, gaskets and seals. Mostly due to dumb designs, they didn't allow enough room to dissipate heat. For example, putting twin turbos in valley between the left and right cylinder banks of the V8.

Another issue was the turbos themselves, they developed waste gate rattle at fairly low mileage. In addition, some of their transmission choices were not ideal and subject to expensive repairs.

Now, the current models have changed things a lot. The B48 and B58 engines are probably the most reliable engines BMW has ever made, for a lot of reasons, primarily heat buildup management. They run much cooler than previous models. In addition, the ZF 8 speed auto is probably the best automatic transmission ever made and has been used in a number of applications for years.

The only issues I can find with the B58 engine is the twin scroll turbo and integrated intercooler do not have enough capacity, so power drops off at higher rpms and the plastic charge pipe could collapse under load. Unless you are modding the engine, this should not be a major issue.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2024, 01:10 AM   #3
Mike38
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The Z4 is kind of my only car... my wife has an SUV, but she won't let me drive it. One of the reasons I bought the Z4 was reliability. I have owned several BMW models and I have done a ton of homework on them, to ensure I knew what I was getting, in view of their less than good reputation. Here's what I know:

All of the models I have owned were turbocharged and BMW wasn't very good at it, in the early years (2008 - 2016). The biggest problem with these models was they ran at very high heat, which damaged all plastic parts, gaskets and seals. Mostly due to dumb designs, they didn't allow enough room to dissipate heat. For example, putting twin turbos in valley between the left and right cylinder banks of the V8.

Another issue was the turbos themselves, they developed waste gate rattle at fairly low mileage. In addition, some of their transmission choices were not ideal and subject to expensive repairs.

Now, the current models have changed things a lot. The B48 and B58 engines are probably the most reliable engines BMW has ever made, for a lot of reasons, primarily heat buildup management. They run much cooler than previous models. In addition, the ZF 8 speed auto is probably the best automatic transmission ever made and has been used in a number of applications for years.

The only issues I can find with the B58 engine is the twin scroll turbo and integrated intercooler do not have enough capacity, so power drops off at higher rpms and the plastic charge pipe could collapse under load. Unless you are modding the engine, this should not be a major issue.
Thanks. 😊
I booked a Z4 sdrive 20i (04/2022, 17000 km) and now I don't know whether to cancel the booking. The disadvantages (hand washing, fear of damage from other cars in public parking lots, a lot of money in the car for the weekend, sweating on the leather seats, less usability in winter) begin to outweigh the advantages (beautiful car, fun to drive, great equipment, heaven above ).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 02:15 AM   #4
Wynnsiensheng
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
To answer your questions from my personal perspective:

1. I have another car that I use when I have more than one passenger or when I might have to park the car in harms way, such as a tight parking space.

2. I had a 4 series for 9 years and loved it. Many years before that I had a 3 series. I never had anything go wrong with either. The 4 series was a twin turbo diesel engine.

3. I haven’t had any problem with my Z4, then again I’ve only had it 6 months and done less than 1k km 😂

4. I would buy another Z4. In fact, I spend several months a year in France where my sister lives and if the manual car is available in France (currently it isn’t), I am seriously considering buying a second Z4 to use while I am there. My sister is all for the idea as she would get to use it now and then while I am not there 😁.

My experience is that there aren’t any BMW reliability issues. And of course there is warranty and 24 hour breakdown recovery coverage, if something did occur.

TBH, the only car that I had an issue with over the last 20years was a Range Rover evoque which suffered a blown turbo hose which caused a loss of power. Other than that, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Benz, Ford, have all been faultless. Granted, they were all bought new, some sold in 2/3 years, but in the case of the BMW 4 series retained for as long as 9 years.

FWIW.
Appreciate 2
      05-08-2024, 02:22 AM   #5
bmwz467
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4

Garage List
2019 bmw z4  [10.00]
I do over 1k miles a month and have found it resonable-ish. Think the issues being ride height sensor snapping and coolant cap however typical cheap plastic once upgraded with routine maintenance I find it’s as good as other BMWs
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 06:14 AM   #6
M6BEL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 740Le, X5, i3, Z4 M40i (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynnsiensheng View Post
4. I would buy another Z4. In fact, I spend several months a year in France where my sister lives and if the manual car is available in France (currently it isn’t), I am seriously considering buying a second Z4 to use while I am there. My sister is all for the idea as she would get to use it now and then while I am not there 😁.
A bit off topic, but you could consider purchasing a Z4 MT in Belgium (where the MT is available) and exporting it to France. It's relatively easy to do this within the EU.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2024, 06:25 AM   #7
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Have had my 2021 CPO Z4 M40i since September 2023, purchased with 11.9k miles and it has 15.9k miles now.

Only issue was HK radio amplifier cutting out, which was a widespread BMW supplier issue for 2021 year effecting X3, 3 series, Z4 etc etc….much of their products.

It was replaced under warranty, dealer was well aware of this problem since it effected so many cars and NOT Z4 specific.

Car was been flawless since. Next dealer visit will be to do oil change maintenance.
Appreciate 2
      05-08-2024, 11:29 AM   #8
RavenGX
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 G29 M40i

Garage List
I have mine since 2019 tuned 450+whp since 2020.
It's my only car, no real issues so far.
only repair needed was a broken passenger side mirror motor
      05-08-2024, 11:44 AM   #9
BEAR-AvHistory-2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40, BMW M4C

Garage List
Reliability. Leased mine in February 2020. Usage is drive around town for stores & stuff plus a lot of 400 mile round trips on the interstate.

In February 2024 bought out the lease with about 26,000 miles on it. Total replacements outside of fluids one set of tires at 19,000 miles.

Have had excellent reliability with BMW going back to 2004. Expect some up to 2011 or so was pure luck but by then BMW had cleaned up its act. Noticed over time on the forums that the complaint threads have materially decreased.

Dravit Gray, 503BHP, AWD, Black Leather, Moonlight Roof, Red Calipers.
1965 Cobra Replica
Appreciate 2
SpeedyATL1927.50
Rcasa20194.00
      05-08-2024, 12:19 PM   #10
mdoneinvt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40I

Also love mine as well and it is mostly the only car I do have a winter vehicle if we get a lot of snow but generally drive the z4 every day. So far 30,000 miles and only issue i had was the active grill shutters which was taken care of under warranty. No issues at all with it. And soon i will be ordering a Manual to replace it as I said to the salesman the only way I would ever get rid of it was if they offered a manual. The B58 motor and a 6 Speed will be something I only dreamed of having some day and will soon be a reality. The ZF 8speed is wonderful as well but i just love rowing my own gears.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 01:04 PM   #11
Living Dead
Zed Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
This is my 3rd Z4, one of each generation. All have been my daily driver here on Long Island, I use winter tires from November to April. This 2020 M40i I purchased CPO in July 2020 with 7K miles it now has 39,500 miles and have had no problems, the CPO warranty ends next month so I just tempted fate right there. If a new one were available in 5 years I'd probably buy it but if they don't have a new model I'll probably sell this one and buy a low milage one at that time to enjoy in retirement.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 01:12 PM   #12
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Mike38, this question has been asked in the past. Please refer to this thread from last December.

https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=reliable
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 02:23 PM   #13
Mike38
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you all for the replies and the link to the thread that addressed the same issue. 😊
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2024, 01:53 AM   #14
Wynnsiensheng
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6BEL View Post
A bit off topic, but you could consider purchasing a Z4 MT in Belgium (where the MT is available) and exporting it to France. It's relatively easy to do this within the EU.
Haha, yes I have seen your previous posts and it has crossed my mind that buying in Belgium might be a fall back contingency plan.
I will be in France for August and planned to check with the BMW dealer in Nimes to see if the know whether it might become available in the near future, and if not, whether they can give any assistance to get a car from Belgium, or whether I would have to go it alone.

The other issue I would need to check is whether BMW France has mechanics who know how to service/repair a manual car. I guess it’s not rocket science.
Appreciate 1
M6BEL115.50
      05-09-2024, 10:47 AM   #15
t0pless
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post

If you’re referring to the n54 and n55 they had some problems but the aftermarket solved a lot of those issues. They’re pretty stout, known for high horsepower capacity, and pretty liable kept at stock levels.

Hot V turbo setups have been around since 1990’s in formula 1. BMW mainstreamed them on the n63, and other companies followed (think Porsche panamera, Mercedes AMg GT). Hot V is a design choice, not a design flaw.

These cars are thermally efficient because they run hot. It’s a material choice that creates issues not the fact they run hot. B58s in particular run hot as hell. On track my oil temps can get up to 300F.

The collapsed charge pipe is nonsense, and the intercooler is only an issue if you’re pushing your car on the track or canyon.

These cars are very reliable. Like any bmw, the electronics get funky if the battery isn’t running near its capacity. Stock engine and transmission can handle large amounts of power.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 10:57 AM   #16
Horseman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I've had two Z4s now.
2021 Alpine White SDrive 30i and i had it for two and a half years before I traded up to a 2024 PB M40i.

This is my daily driver. Yes, I have a second car (family car) that my wife primarily drives. I primarily drive my Z4.

It's a great car to run errands in, it has plenty of space to even do some "light" Costco shopping, but I do my regular food shopping in it frequently. It's comfortable enough to do daily drives on back roads or the highway without feeling stiff and broken after. it's quick enough to get in and out of situations and flashy enough to turn heads without drawing unwanted attention.

I've yet to have any significant issues with the car in either model. I've had my M40i now since Oct 2023. Couple of annoyances here and there (like how water can collect in the door when it rains, top sometimes decides it doesn't wanna work (gotta roll windows up and then down, or vice versa to fix it), but nothing that was like.. OMG i regret this.

BMW and Subaru are now ranked number 1 and 2 according to Consumer Reports for the last two years as most reliable car brands.

The Z4 is a well-built, SOLID car that is an absolute blast to drive.
Appreciate 4
      05-09-2024, 11:14 AM   #17
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
I've yet to have any significant issues with the car in either model. I've had my M40i now since Oct 2023. Couple of annoyances here and there (like how water can collect in the door when it rains, top sometimes decides it doesn't wanna work (gotta roll windows up and then down, or vice versa to fix it), but nothing that was like.. OMG i regret this.
You are correct, I am constantly cleaning my door sills after driving in the rain. Water also collects on my trunk lid right where it curves up. If the car is parked it doesn't roll off, even with my ceramic coating. If I am driving it is usually a non issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-09-2024, 04:29 PM   #18
Balr14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0pless View Post
If you’re referring to the n54 and n55 they had some problems but the aftermarket solved a lot of those issues. They’re pretty stout, known for high horsepower capacity, and pretty liable kept at stock levels.

Hot V turbo setups have been around since 1990’s in formula 1. BMW mainstreamed them on the n63, and other companies followed (think Porsche panamera, Mercedes AMg GT). Hot V is a design choice, not a design flaw.

These cars are thermally efficient because they run hot. It’s a material choice that creates issues not the fact they run hot. B58s in particular run hot as hell. On track my oil temps can get up to 300F.

The collapsed charge pipe is nonsense, and the intercooler is only an issue if you’re pushing your car on the track or canyon.

These cars are very reliable. Like any bmw, the electronics get funky if the battery isn’t running near its capacity. Stock engine and transmission can handle large amounts of power.
I quite agree with you. I had N54/N55 models that were modded. But, OP asked about reliability, not about aftermarket fixes. IMO, material choices are part of the design. Why use an abundance of material that will fail due to heat? I did not say the B58 ran cooler, just that BMW has gotten better at managing heat buildup. Also, I make no judgement about the reliability of any vehicle for track use.

But, I am still not sold on the long term reliability and performance of the plastic charge pipe or integrated intercooler. Likewise, I thought the N54 configuration was a lot better than the N55.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 04:32 PM   #19
ZMcruiser
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006MRoadster, 2020 Z4M40i,

I have a 2020 that I ordered in April 2019 and took delivery in July. I have 37,000 miles on it and have had no mechanical issues. Only issue is with software, for some strange reason software updates jumping from MyBMW app stall.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2024, 04:46 PM   #20
FashionablyL8
Rep
Drives: E96 M3

The one I have on order will be my forth.
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2024, 08:13 AM   #21
Mike38
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you. 😊
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 12:20 PM   #22
Emily172013
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i BMW 330ci

My life with BMW:
1987, 325, 130k when I sold it. Changed timing belt twice.
2005, 330ci, 90k just a couple minor issues that never made the car
unuseable.
2020, M340i, 25k no issues, still have it.
2024, Z4 4cly, only 500 miles but can't find a fault.
Appreciate 3