BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum First G29 Z4 Roadster Prototype Spied, Returns to the Soft-Top!

Closed Thread

02-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #947
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

It's cute seeing comments from people who think this car will be in the mold of the original z cars. Where have you been the last 6 years? Try driving one of the real z cars and tell me if BMW would make a vehicle remotely close to one right now? Most people here seem to have some strange video game fantasy.

This is a platform shared vehicle. So it will drive and feel like every other car in the lineup. That's is to say numb, detached and basically boring, but accurate. The differences are basically how high or low you sit and how the vehicle is styled.

Transmission, steering, engines, etc are all the same As everything else in the lineup.

In essence the car is an exercise in "how much money can we get out of these idiots". Ie who will pay extra money for a vehicle based purely on roadster styling. Of course most US customers are savvy enough so this car is aimed at other far more superficial markets.

In this context the rationale for platform sharing with Toyota should be plainly obvious.
scrammer421.50
      02-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #948
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
It's cute seeing comments from people who think this car will be in the mold of the original z cars. Where have you been the last 6 years? Try driving one of the real z cars and tell me if BMW would make a vehicle remotely close to one right now? Most people here seem to have some strange video game fantasy.

This is a platform shared vehicle. So it will drive and feel like every other car in the lineup. That's is to say numb, detached and basically boring, but accurate. The differences are basically how high or low you sit and how the vehicle is styled.

Transmission, steering, engines, etc are all the same As everything else in the lineup.

In essence the car is an exercise in "how much money can we get out of these idiots". Ie who will pay extra money for a vehicle based purely on roadster styling. Of course most US customers are savvy enough so this car is aimed at other far more superficial markets.

In this context the rationale for platform sharing with Toyota should be plainly obvious.

What does a platform shared vehicle have to do with the price of potatoes?

how much of the M2 platform (and by that I mean suspension and drivetrain ) is shared with the M4 ?

how much of the M4 platform is shared with other models?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 08:50 PM   #949
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post

What does a platform shared vehicle have to do with the price of potatoes?

how much of the M2 platform (and by that I mean suspension and drivetrain ) is shared with the M4 ?
You may want to revisit that question in a few months time
      02-13-2018, 09:32 PM   #950
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Is it considered shameful of traitorous to like that Supra?

Could it be the poor man’s Porsche? Or a bust because of no-M componentry?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
supra932481.00
      02-13-2018, 10:59 PM   #951
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

Not at all. I think the Supra will fare better than the Z4, esp in sales. It's already started off on the right foot by having a fixed hardtop.
      02-14-2018, 12:57 AM   #952
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

Both of these cars will be dead on arrival if they don't undercut the Boxster and C7 in price. They are unlikely to perform better.

If the M40i or top Supra version outperform the M2 and actually drive like a true sports car it will be a success. Barring that, it seems like yet another fashion car.

It's a shame because this chassis is the best chance BMW has to build something really exciting to drive. A full-on M version with S58 engine and M suspension would be pretty great. I actually think if the dynamics are good enough it could steal a lot of 718 sales because of the 4-cyl engine being so undesirable.

Last edited by chris719; 02-14-2018 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 02:52 AM   #953
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice31 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
I already have the $ waiting for the Z4, but they had to disappoint me didn't they :
The production car has not even been revealed yet so why don't you hold on before you get your panties all bunched up. Good Lord!
No manual, no m40i in europe...
Vote with your wallet... !
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      02-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #954
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

Quote:

Nope. I think the Supra already looks a shit ton better.
Appreciate 1
supra932481.00
      02-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #955
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMack View Post
Really? It looks a bit cartoonish to me, sorry. Just personal taste. But it wouldn’t be the first time that I didn’t like a picture and once I saw the car in person I loved it!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 12:52 PM   #956
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

I find it hard to believe that the Supra is going to be targeted as the "sportier" car between the two. The Z3/Z4 has always been known as a sports car where Supras have always been GT cruisers (they are not sports cars similar to 240sx's like the Fast & Furious makes them out to be.) Also, Supras have been marketed higher than the z3, $40,500 vs $35,900 respectively in 1998 which was the last year for the mk4 in the states.
I look for the new Z4 to remain a fun road course/track car and the Supra to be a leaner version of the plush street cruiser it used to be.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 01:03 PM   #957
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Sounds more like another concept or prototype or something - not production car?
Some are saying it will be either a near production concept or the production car but turned into a racecar. Similarly like with the M8 GTE. Found this today, the wing looks really close to the teaser release by Toyota.

Last edited by supra93; 02-14-2018 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #958
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMack View Post
Really? It looks a bit cartoonish to me, sorry. Just personal taste. But it wouldn’t be the first time that I didn’t like a picture and once I saw the car in person I loved it!
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Doesn't make either one of ours "right". I think maybe the cartoonish or video game nature of the Supra gets to me. I also have a personal connection. My father had a mkii Supra for 10 years when I was a kid so they'll always be "special" to me.
Appreciate 1
supra932481.00
      02-14-2018, 11:01 PM   #959
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by super51fan View Post
I find it hard to believe that the Supra is going to be targeted as the "sportier" car between the two. The Z3/Z4 has always been known as a sports car where Supras have always been GT cruisers (they are not sports cars similar to 240sx's like the Fast & Furious makes them out to be.) Also, Supras have been marketed higher than the z3, $40,500 vs $35,900 respectively in 1998 which was the last year for the mk4 in the states.
I look for the new Z4 to remain a fun road course/track car and the Supra to be a leaner version of the plush street cruiser it used to be.
Always? Not true - as far as the last iteration of each model was concerned, it was exactly the opposite: the last Supra (incredibly, a couple decades ago) was a sports car whereas the recently departed last Z4 surely didn't seem like one.
      02-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #960
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Always? Not true - as far as the last iteration of each model was concerned, it was exactly the opposite: the last Supra (incredibly, a couple decades ago) was a sports car whereas the recently departed last Z4 surely didn't seem like one.
I chose my words carefully. The Supra is a GT car, Z4 is a sports car/roadster. While the Supra was more sporty than previous years since its more upscale offerings were brought in with the Lexus SC300/SC400, it was no doubt a GT. If you have driven a stock Supra at the time its obvious compared to other sporty options from Toyota such as the Toyota MR2 and Toyota Celica.
I can't speak on the failed execution of the most recent z4, but that doesn't change the intentions of the vehicle
Appreciate 1
rjahl996.00
      02-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #961
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
I chose my words carefully. The Supra is a GT car, Z4 is a sports car/roadster. While the Supra was more sporty than previous years since its more upscale offerings were brought in with the Lexus SC300/SC400, it was no doubt a GT. If you have driven a stock Supra at the time its obvious compared to other sporty options from Toyota such as the Toyota MR2 and Toyota Celica.
I can't speak on the failed execution of the most recent z4, but that doesn't change the intentions of the vehicle
Chiming in here - the last Z4 was maybe a sporty car, but not a sports car. Which was actually fine by me, I liked the combination of sporty & GT. I know many didn’t.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #962
supra93
Colonel
Rep

The Toyota has dropped body camo as well.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 07:54 AM   #963
ice31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3 3.0i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I already have the $ waiting for the Z4, but they had to disappoint me didn't they :
The production car has not even been revealed yet so why don't you hold on before you get your panties all bunched up. Good Lord!
What do you mean?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #964
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What do you mean?
Buy what you like.

Don't buy what you do not like.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #965
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Idk. The Supra was used on racing, and the 2jz is a winner. As an owner of the e89 I'd say it's definitely more GT than sports. Problem is that BMW listened to a bunch of bloated car buyers and softened it as a response to the e85 being too harsh. That said if you're an enthusiast it's easy to mod the e89 into a better performer.

At this point it's easy to say the Supra will hit, and z4 most likely won't hit the mark. Supra has a strong following that will drive sales and the aftermarket , where as the z4....no M version, no manual, no point.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #966
ice31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3 3.0i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What do you mean?
Buy what you like.

Don't buy what you do not like.
Well yeah, that's basically my only criteria
But I love the design of the Z4 concept, so this is a big disappointment...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #967
supra93
Colonel
Rep

More photos of the Toyota with body cladding gone.

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22804583

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #968
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
Idk. The Supra was used on racing, and the 2jz is a winner. As an owner of the e89 I'd say it's definitely more GT than sports. Problem is that BMW listened to a bunch of bloated car buyers and softened it as a response to the e85 being too harsh. That said if you're an enthusiast it's easy to mod the e89 into a better performer.

At this point it's easy to say the Supra will hit, and z4 most likely won't hit the mark. Supra has a strong following that will drive sales and the aftermarket , where as the z4....no M version, no manual, no point.
Yes the supra was used in racing but never performed well around a track. The 2jz is a monster and I have been modifying them for ~10 years now and I will tell you the cast iron block makes for a nose heavy car around the corners. A mk4 supra is just a nice car to daily drive that just so happened to be easy to modify, id equate the feel to a g37 in that it is sporty but not rash like a 370z or a mustang. I would really hate for the supra to turn into a sports car because I cant afford the Lexus LC500 lol.
The same about the e89 can be said about the stock mk4 suspension, its too soft to perform.
We will see what is officially confirmed when the supra is announced but I do not see it having a manual box if its supposed to be a gtr competitor (unfortunately.)
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread