BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum First G29 Z4 Roadster Prototype Spied, Returns to the Soft-Top!

Closed Thread

10-01-2017, 07:56 AM   #727
bunker
BVARIAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

This car is gonna be sex on a stick
      10-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #728
impulsE89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2Porsches2Alfas2Bmw2Corvettes

Now this is better

The concept car was ugly with all the over size gaping scoops. But this looks like a BMW!
I still like the E89 Hard top feature, but interested in how much weight was actually saved with the soft top. Having owned several soft tops I was not happy with the visibility, the wind noise, the rear window failures etc.

Last edited by impulsE89; 10-01-2017 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 11:23 PM   #729
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

2019 BMW Z4 won’t drive anything like the Toyota Supra, BMW boss says

Quote:
As BMW ramps up co-development of the next-generation BMW Z4 with Toyota, BMW’s local boss wants to assure purists that the final Z4 product won’t be anything like its Japanese counterpart.

Speaking exclusively to CarAdvice at the recent 1 and 2 Series LCI launch, BMW Group Australia CEO Marc Werner said the new Z4 will still be “an ultimate driving machine”.

The Toyota tie-up, no surprise, is to take advantage of the cost benefits that come with sharing investment and combining resources.

“It’s definitely economies of scale [the reason for this collaboration],” Werner said.

“Product development of each and every car costs you a couple of billion dollars, and the roadster segment is unfortunately declining over the last couple of years — not only for us [BMW], but each and every manufacturer.

“So we decided to join forces with Toyota, as far as the development process is concerned. As far as the design is concerned, it will be absolutely unique. Not only in terms of design, but how they drive and how they handle.”

BMW recently revealed the BMW Concept Z4 at the Pebble Beach Concours D’Elegance, and again at the Frankfurt motor show in September, and it shows a very different styling direction to Toyota’s FT-1 coupe concept.

The BMW product is expected to remain premium, taking advantage of the company’s iDrive infotainment system and the high-end finishes expected from a product in this segment and price bracket.

When asked whether the end result would be as close a relationship as that between the Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ, Werner promised the connection between the two vehicles would be far harder to identify.

“It will be absolutely a unique BMW product, as you would expect,” Werner said.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/588438/2...bmw-boss-says/
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 03:18 AM   #730
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
Quote:
As BMW ramps up co-development of the next-generation BMW Z4 with Toyota, BMW’s local boss wants to assure purists that the final Z4 product won’t be anything like its Japanese counterpart.

Speaking exclusively to CarAdvice at the recent 1 and 2 Series LCI launch, BMW Group Australia CEO Marc Werner said the new Z4 will still be “an ultimate driving machine”.

The Toyota tie-up, no surprise, is to take advantage of the cost benefits that come with sharing investment and combining resources.

“It’s definitely economies of scale [the reason for this collaboration],” Werner said.

“Product development of each and every car costs you a couple of billion dollars, and the roadster segment is unfortunately declining over the last couple of years — not only for us [BMW], but each and every manufacturer.

“So we decided to join forces with Toyota, as far as the development process is concerned. As far as the design is concerned, it will be absolutely unique. Not only in terms of design, but how they drive and how they handle.”

BMW recently revealed the BMW Concept Z4 at the Pebble Beach Concours D’Elegance, and again at the Frankfurt motor show in September, and it shows a very different styling direction to Toyota’s FT-1 coupe concept.

The BMW product is expected to remain premium, taking advantage of the company’s iDrive infotainment system and the high-end finishes expected from a product in this segment and price bracket.

When asked whether the end result would be as close a relationship as that between the Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ, Werner promised the connection between the two vehicles would be far harder to identify.

Reading that he says it'll be an "ultimate driving machine" ...

...so it'll be more like a Boxster (?!)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 06:38 AM   #731
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

BMW Z4 won’t drive anything like the Toyota Supra, According to BMW's Merc Warner.

Quote:

Speaking to CarAdvice at the recent 1 and 2 Series LCI launch, BMW Group Australia CEO Marc Werner said the new Z4 will still be “an ultimate driving machine”.

It’s definitely economies of scale [the reason for this collaboration],” Werner said.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #732
supra93
Colonel
Rep

BMW working on two different versions of G29 BMW Z4 M40i

The top model of the upcoming BMW Z4 lineup might be offered in two configurations. The 2018 BMW Z4 M40i – codename G29 – is currently being tested with two engine configurations. The B58M1 3.0 liter six-cylinder engine is under the hood of one Z4 M40i making 335 horsepower. A second engine – B5801 – with the same displacement is being used in a second M40i with a total output of 385 horsepower.

At first glance, the different in power output seems to depend on the emissions standards – the higher power version is being built for the countries without EU emissions regulations, including the US. The move will be quite unusual for BMW which historically has tried to be consistent across different markets, with a few changes, especially related to diesel engines.

Furthermore, it is not also the first time that BMW is testing different engine configurations before settling on the production unit, so at this time, we can’t state with certitude that the Z4 M40i will be offered with two different power options.

We’ve also learned a while back that there won’t be a new Z4 M, so that rules out the possibility of a higher power output being used in the M model.

But if we were to bet on something it would be a Competition Package being offered for the Z4 M40i which will explain the additional horsepower and likely more torque.

What we do know for sure is that the Z4 will be powered by four and six-cylinder engines. The base model is the Z4 sDrive20i, powered by a 2.0 liter four-cylinder unit rated at 180 horsepower and 200 lb-ft of torque. The sDrive30i features the same engine with 248 hp and 258 lb-ft.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:40 AM   #733
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

^^^

Intriguing contribution, though I would point out that we do not have reciprocity with some specific BMW fan magazines and the like.

In any case, while the fact that two outputs are being tested is interesting to note (if it is true - which I don't doubt in this case), I expect the final lineup will include just one six cylinder engine as the author also allowed for in his writeup.

If the technical update of the B58 does indeed bring us 385hp, that's rapid progress. We've already seen the engine go from 322hp to 335hp to 355hp. Traditionally, BMW was able to not chase the segment leaders in power output, relying instead on other aspects of the driving experience to garner the top spot time after time. I suspect they are having to change strategy with the competition now able to match or even beat them in those areas in many cases.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #734
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

There will be two M40i versions, these are not just experiments.

There's a typo in their article: the North American/Korean engine is B58B30O1 (not 01): the brand new tune level of B58 that will come with B58Tü, as I wrote in my thread last month.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #735
supra93
Colonel
Rep

So will they offer two versions of the 6 cylinder? (US)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #736
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No. Different engines for different markets.

I feel this conversation needs lemetier . Don't know if he'd be interested in engaging though.
Appreciate 1
supra932480.00
      10-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #737
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post

I feel this conversation needs lemetier . Don't know if he'd be interested in engaging though.
Sweet, good to know, thanks!

I'm assuming same goes for the Toyota version?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:18 PM   #738
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's believable. Would those markets that don't get the O1 also not get the higher output 355hp B58 in the X3 M40i as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #739
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
That's believable. Would those markets that don't get the O1 also not get the higher output 355hp B58 in the X3 M40i as well?
No, no such thing with X3. Its situation is very different right now because it's still using the original B58M. And when it gets B58Tü, it will still use only one engine version across all markets. What I can't tell is whether it will be the M or the O version.

This also applies to G02. And we know M340i will have B58Tü right from the start, but again not clear which of the two (I expect to know this before the end of the year).
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #740
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, no such thing with X3. Its situation is very different right now because it's still using the original B58M. And when it gets B58Tü, it will still use only one engine version across all markets. What I can't tell is whether it will be the M or the O version.
That's a strange situation, if I understand you correctly. What I am hearing is that, in some markets, the Z4 M40i will actually be limited to less power than the X3 M40i sold right next to it.

Something doesn't add up here. I can understand how regulatory issues could force different engines or different ECU programming across different markets for a given product. But why would it vary by vehicle in the same market?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #741
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

:shrug:
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #742
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

C'mon, BMW/Toyota need to come up with a bit more juice. 385hp should be where it's at. My damned Z4M from 12 years ago has 335hp, bump it up guys!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #743
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #744
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
That Cullinan is a tub.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #745
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
BMW’s all-new roadster is set to debut sometime next year.

There’s a new sports car on the way from BMW. Following in the footsteps of the Z3 and Z4, it’s an all-new roadster that should hit the market in 2018.

The first Z4 (2003-2009) was a rear-drive, front-engine, two-seat roadster, and was briefly offered as a coupe. The second-gen Z4 (2009-2016) utilized a retractable hardtop to presumably be the best of both worlds, but ended production in 2016. In its third iteration, the Z4 will be a product of the joint sports car project between BMW and Toyota. Here’s everything we know about the all-new roadster so far.

What is it?
The Z4, Z5, whatever you want to call it, will be an all-new, front engine, rear-drive roadster. Old rumors suggested BMW would switch to a Z5 nameplate, but the Z4 Concept makes us think Z4 is most likely to continue on. Former Head of BMW America, Ludwig Willisch also revealed to AutoGuide that the Z5 name is “something that someone else has made up,” and said the new roadster “will be called Z… probably 4.”

Toyota and BMW joined together to develop a platform to underpin the new Z4 and revived Toyota Supra for better economies of scale. Although both cars will have the same platform, BMW CEO of Australia Marc Werner said the Z4 will be “a unique BMW product, as you would expect.” One key difference: The Supra will be sold only as a coupe, and the Z4 will only come fitted with a soft convertible top.

What does it look like?
Look no further than the BMW Z4 Concept. Even BMW global design chief, Adrian van Hooydonk said himself it’s a “very close hint of what the production car will look like next year."

Recent spy shots seem to prove that notion. Even though the spy photographers caught a heavily camouflaged version of the roadster, head and taillight designs look very similar to the concept. Sadly, the exterior looks far less bold than the orange concept car. Especially from the side, the bold, high character line seems to be smoothed out on the pre-production mule. Other more aggressive deep creases in the front and rear bumpers also appear tuned down. Nonetheless, the third-gen Z4 keeps the same long hood and short rear deck profile BMW roadsters are known for.

The Z4 Concept also gave us a good look at what the new roadster’s cabin will look like. Glance at the interior and you see plenty of real parts: Actual radio and HVAC controls, and a familiar looking shifter and iDrive control knob. Although it’s still bound to change slightly, judging by the concept’s interior, the new Z4 will have a luxurious and sporty looking interior.

What’s under the hood?
Rumor has it the Z4 will start out with a base s20i version packing a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder producing 180 horsepower. Step up to the s30i, and you will get a slightly beefed up version of the four with 250 hp. Thankfully, the range-topping 340i will be blessed with a turbocharged 3.0-liter straight-six engine likely from the 340i. The straight-six, according to BMWBLOG, is set to deliver 335 hp or 385 hp.

The two different outputs could hint at different versions for European or American markets, or an optional Competition Package that unlocks the 50 additional horsepower. Sadly, this will likely be the hottest form of the Z4. A BMW spokesperson told Automobile Magazine back in August that a Z4 M won’t be in the works.

Although its platform-mate is speculated to have a Toyota-sourced turbocharged hybrid powerplant, it looks like the Z4 will only receive BMW-sourced four- and six-cylinder engines. As of now, Car Advice hints that only the base s20i model will let you row your own gears with a six-speed manual. Other models are expected to receive an eight-speed ZF automatic transmission.

When will we see it?
BMW has been a little wishy-washy on this subject. The company said it will host the world premiere of the all-new Z4 sometime in 2018. The North American International Auto Show, in January 2018, may be a fitting place for an introduction, as this is where BMW and Toyota announced their partnership in 2013.

“Those cars [the Z4 and 8 Series concepts] will be product variants next year,” BMW North America CEO Bernhard Kuhnt said at Pebble Beach. “They are just around the corner.”

We’ll make sure to keep you updated as more information comes our way. Check out the gallery below of all of the Z4 spy shots and Z4 Concept photos we have so far.
https://www.motor1.com/features/1828...thing-we-know/
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #746
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
It's quite ironic how BMW's only 2 sports cars (Z4 and i8) don't get an M version and everything else does.
Appreciate 2
      10-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #747
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus View Post
It's quite ironic how BMW's only 2 sports cars (Z4 and i8) don't get an M version and everything else does.
Not really, considering the history of ///M and what made M Division viable long-term, which is the hopping up of BMW's sedans and luxury coupes. The M1 wasn't really a BMW anyway, and the 3.0CSL was primarily a racing project.

It took M Division nearly two decades to work its magic on an actual sports car (the Z3) ...

... the first-ever BMW wholly produced outside of Germany. Now that's irony.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #748
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Quote:

MPPK Certification

It is a very quick little car.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread