World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
I wish that it was true.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to spend enough time in certain areas. Reliability for example. We still hear about windows regulator failures. If they were obsessed with reliability-by-design like Honda, this problem would be resolved by now. And before you ask, I don't think that is incompatible with driving dynamic.

They also have a tendency to create problems, answering questions nobody asked. Run-flat tires WITH NO SPARE TIRE ROOM (that is the point IMO) is incredible. In order to save maybe 2HP, they have an electric water pump that costs 1500$ to fix instead of 500$.

No surprise that nobody really followed them in this kind of craziness in 7 years.
My point exactly,

They are showing the idiot chime guy as an example of their OCD approach to engineering and those of us who own the cars are well aware of, and very frustrated by,many unturned stones including (but not limited to) the RFT issue, the "Pothole Explosions" issue, the HPFP issue, etc,

I think that BMWs are very well engineered cars but that "documentary" was a load of crap.

Having owned a wide variety of cars over the years I would have to say that my Lexus SC300 and my wife's 2010 Jaguar XKR showed more attention to detail than my 335i. All are excellent cars in their own way but when it comes to attention to detail BMW has a lot of room for improvement.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-18-2011 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0