09-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
MasterC17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
I am sure it will be fine.

BMW made factory built mini challenge racecars that were designed to race on slicks with factory fitted KW V3 race suspension. These ran a standard unmodified R56 mini engine with a standard wet sump etc. I am sure they pulled big g forces.

There are hundreds or thousands of people around the world who have run standard e36/e46/e92 M3's on the track with slicks and unmodified engines, and I don't see a whole lot of problems.

I am sure the f80/f82 engine is at least as capable.

Now that is not to say it is ideal, and doesn't need improvement. People will eventually do things to improve oil surge etc. However it gives me confidence that BMW built a dedicated racecar (mini challenge) without modifying the sump etc. They must have a certain level of over engineering.
Agreed, I have put about four-thousand track miles on my S54 pulling 1.6+ g's without issue. Now has 108k miles on the original motor. I did rod bearings and a valve adjustment along with all the gaskets but it's got the stock sump. If the S55 can't handle the same, I'll be really disappointed. Yay for warranty though!