View Single Post
      11-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
thedarkknight
Rep
Drives:

My First Big Boy Purchase; NEED ADVICE

Hi all,

Long time lurker here and lover of all things Bimmer. I've been a reader of Bimmerpost since the launch of the E92, I've grown up in a family of BMWs, and I now hope to become more active in the community depending on my decision in the next couple of weeks.

To keep my question brief, I'm in the process of buying my first car out of school. I've been researching, deciding, and test driving vehicles since March and I had initially been enamored with buying "new." Based on my income and needs, I honed in on a 2015 GTI or the new four-door Mini Cooper S.

I loved the drive and feel of the GTI, but I felt it lacked any personality and felt like it would be a "me too" car. However, journalists herald it as the best all rounder and as a solid entry-point into the car enthusiast community.

The Mini Cooper S had more personality and "brand appeal" than the VW, but I felt it leaned too close to quirky for my comfort zone. It wasn't as "complete" as the GTI to me, but I was still extremely intrigued.

Long story short, I never pulled the trigger and have since been stuck with the old SUV I've had since high school.

Since the VW diesel-gate scandal, I decided to revisit the car-buying process and see if I could snag some solid deals on a 2016 GTI. I've seen one that I could drive out for about $25k.

However, as a to-be automotive enthusiast, I've recently considered going used and finding a killer deal on a Bimmer. Ideally, I'd like to find a solid E46 BMW M3, or a 2012 and above BMW 135, 135is, or a 335is.

To give you some additional color on who I am and what my needs are:
1) I'm 23 turning 24 in about a week.
2) I work and play in Austin, Texas.
3) I'd like a car that people might smile at or acknowledge on the road.
4) Would like to keep price around $30k MAX.
5) The car will likely be given to my sister in about two years when she turns 18, or I may opt to sell the car (I may also move to a more urban city at that time.)

Based on the above detail, what advice do you guys have? Would love some insight directly from you car guys.

Cheers and thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0