05-09-2016, 02:05 AM   #27335
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Question for the audiophiles

(TLDR: I have an #FWP and have to choose between 2 headphones: The Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or HD 429S. I haven't tested the latter and want to get an opinion before opening the box)

I got a First World Problem: High-end headphones are usually for execs or media crew; the rest (incl. me, in IT) only get earbuds for teleconferencing or general AV (which we are allowed to use).

However, I was a Sennheiser junkie and had a set worth almost $200, but my mom managed to crush them while visiting... Broke my heart, but never bothered to get a new set.

So, when I saw a set of HD 280 Pro in the e-waste pile (only because the coiled cable was too stretched out to fit our re-usability criteria), I got ecstatic, asked my supervisor and he let me keep them... Then my manager saw them, went to the supply room and handed me a brand-new-in-box HD 429S as I was heading out, but I wasn't sure if it was meant to be taken home or for work, so I erred on the side of caution and left them on my desk and didn't get to do a side-by-side comparison.
  • The 429S has a more down-to-earth 32-ohm impedance so that they can crank on my Spotify Premium subscription via my phone (Moto Turbo 2) or Hulu (of course) through the ThinkPad's generic sound card without an amp, but less sensitivity and freq. response... Also everything is portable device friendly from the mic down to the straight cable instead of coils.
  • The HD 280 Pro has better specs, but with 64 ohms it needs an amp to fully realize its potential, but I like what I hear so far a lot... It even works a bit too well since since you can really hear the lossy artifact of low bitrate MP3s that were previously unnoticeable in my usual earbuds that came with my Galaxy Tab (I know, apples to oranges but still).

So... Which one is better, Senn HD 429S or HD 280 Pro? Any audiophiles want to chime in?
Attached Images

::THE MACHETE::

Last edited by NEFARIOUS; 05-09-2016 at 02:32 AM..
Appreciate 0