03-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #92
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
You'd never leave your driveway then because that's all there is. Speed is relative. If everyones going the same speed then theres no difference between 25 and 105. This is mostly on highways with exits every 20-40 miles so there's no exiting or merging cars at different speeds.
I forget the rule of thumb, and we ALL break it constantly, but isn't the rule 1 second of distance for every 20 mph or something? So if you're going 80 and the car in front of you passes a sign you shouldn't pass it for 4 seconds? I forget the exact math but it's based on how long it takes eyes to tell brain to tell foot to push brakes and car to react without rear ending the guy in front of you if he slams on his brakes. No one follows this logic but safe following distance is not the same regardless of speed. Taken to the logical extreme that's basically saying I need the same amount of time to stop my car at 10 mph as I do at 100 mph. Unless the logic is the guy in front won't just stop all of a sudden but still it cannot be a linear ratio.
Appreciate 0