07-02-2017, 11:13 PM   #555
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
You can change out your cassette (collection of rear cogs) to suit your riding style. For instance, i have an 11spd and my cassette is an 11tooth - 28tooth. If i were only going to ride flat areas, i would change that to an 11-23 which keeps the ratios very close. But because i roll out in the hills often enough to not want to change cassettes between rides, i keep the 11-28 because i'm able to push enough on the flats to stay in the 3-4 close gear ratios.

here is a gear calculator for you to play with. It's pretty self explanatory and takes into account several variables. Such as drive train loss, incline, wind and weight resistance. With a little bit of experience on your current set up, you'll be able to compare what you have to available cassette options which can help you make an informed decision should you choose to buy a new cassette.

http://www.bicyclecalculator.co.uk/d...dencespeed.htm

It won't take long to learn the new shifting dynamic.
Thanks for that calculator. As always, the proof will be in the climbing on the real hills. Today was lawn mowing and walking day, so no ride. Tomorrow will be walking and riding later. I plan on hitting the hill between my house and the office to see if this bike takes the hill easier than my Verve 2.

One of the things that keeps me interested in this program is the data collection and analysis. Sounds geeky, but it's kind of cool to see how calories burned vs calories taken in can affect so much. Things like cadence can have a profound effect on the overall riding experience. And the Garmin stats from my rides show how consistency is really important and can be used as a measurement of improved performance. Along those lines, I'm wondering if I should be looking at collecting power stats (Watts). Is it worth the investment?

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6060.00