View Single Post
      08-18-2017, 03:39 PM   #42
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandwagn View Post
Another one that seemed to be unloved at the time of production - but secondary market in time will show the value
Actually, that's not entirely true. The Z4 M Coupe was universally sought after when it first came out. The point of my LONG dissertation above was, that allocation was sold out nationwide for nearly 6 months in advance when it was first introduced. I got in early and still had to wait 5 months for my Coupe to be produced and delivered. And that's mostly because of my staunch belief in not paying markups above MSRP. There were dealerships in the area charging $10-15K markup on their allocation, although those are few and far in-between.

The truth is, once the enthusiasts bought them, nobody else will. It didn't help that the original Z3 M Coupe and Z4 M Coupe can only be purchased with 3 pedals, and even back 2 decades ago, that pretty much eliminated over 85% of the general buying public.

All of us here screaming "shut up and take my money" isn't enough to make BMW want to bring a new Z4 M Coupe. BMW will probably be able to sell 1,000 really quick, then demand will quickly die down. Especially considering there are three big siblings that this chassis will have to compete with, the M2, M3, and M4 now, and BMW really can't afford to, nor want to, cannibalize those sales in favor of the Z4 M Coupe. If one was ever made, I believe it won't get the M3/M4 motor. It probably won't get the M2 motor either, and if it does, it will have to be priced significantly higher than the M2 as to not compete. In that case, the real alternative is an "is" version of the 3.0 liter, and at that point, there's not enough separation from the run of the mill 3.0 to warrant an M.

The possibility of a "Coupe" sans the M designate motor is slightly higher than zero, because one is already in the pipeline for Toyota. The reason the E86 Z4 M Coupe existed, was because Magna Steyr showed BMW that they can effectively convert the E85 Z4 Roadster chassis to a Coupe using almost all spare parts. The only body panels that the E86 does not share with the E85, are the A pillars, roof, B/C pillar and the rear hatch. Magna Steyr was able to show BMW that almost ZERO development cost were required to build another chassis, a chassis that would become the stiffest chassis BMW has ever built. The question now, is can Magna Steyr convince BMW that a BMW Coupe can be effectively built without significant investment in R&D, and for BMW to determine if there is indeed a market for it.

Of course, had this been a Z4 GC, BMW would have been all over it.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17607.00
bandwagn232.00