View Single Post
      08-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #1239
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Regarding the B58, wikipedia suggests the 250Kw version is actually called the O0. Is that incorrect? It did seem strange to me that the X3 M40i specs call its new 265Kw version the M0, which is the name the original 240Kw version goes by. I agree it would make more sense if, as you say, all of them are M0 than if only the middle child is O0.
All current B58 applications are M0. My brain breaks a little every time I look up the info for a new higher powered model and still see M0 there. I'm a traditionalist, I learned to expect a new revision for each change in power output level, chasing all those versions that are truly just ECU and exhaust tweaks is exhausting (pardon the pun).
Quote:
Still nothing about a new V8 family, eh? Rumors suggest that the 8 Series will get a 4.0L V8 which would presumably be all new rather than simply an N63 with less displacement.
Nope, nothing. But maybe those rumors are about that N63M I mentioned - using a lower output V8 just for prestige would make sense in the 8er.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
I believe the F90 went from Tu 2 to Tu4; wonder if the S63tu4 will be further tweaked for the future X5M/X6M just the current generation was?
Correct, the engine used in F90 through F96 is the TU4 iteration. I don't think there'll be any significant tweaking in the near future, S engines tend to have longer iteration cycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Some of those are related to PPF for EU6c/d/7, CN6, and EPA Tier III not necessarily output class.
TUs exist to solve all kinds of issues, including emissions. In the case of B48A TU (can't say anything about B48B TU yet), emissions clearly seem to be the focus: the output numbers remain the same, but there's an all-new ECU to manage the engine.
Appreciate 3
FSociety3816.50
mkoesel7526.00