Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
What do you dislike about it? If you are happy with your debit card, why are you worried about building your credit, especially when you're not sure if you'll stay here? Mine was wiped clean when I got my green card...
It's probably because I'm not really used to it and it has been annoying to work with in the few months that I've been here. It's really frustrating that you are being treated as untrustworthy from the get go.

Need utilities? Oh we'll need a deposit from you sir, because your social security number is telling us not to trust you. Want cable? Gotta pay a deposit. Want to cash this check sir? Sorry, third party company says you're not to be trusted because we don't know you.

Especially the last one was pretty annoying because for a while I got paid in checks. Closest issuing bank was over 300 miles away and I did not have a bank account. Kind of annoying when you want to pay for stuff...

So while I'm not really worried about building a credit score per se, even when not wanting to use a credit card it was smacked in my face a few times.

Stop being paranoid! I wish only "negative" credit score was kept, that way you're not punished for not being "part of the system".

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogerf View Post
As long as you live within your means and pay the cc off every month, you can get some benefits like cash back or travel points, etc.

CC are also better than debit in case you ever get disputed charges. Debit comes straight outta your wallet.
Living with in my means is not the problem. Noone has a credit card back home, everybody pays for stuff using a debit card. Can't spend money that you don't have. Honestly, that would probably be a good thing for some Americans. While the vast majority is responsible, there are also a lot of people who allow themselves to get f'ed over by the system. A lot harder to buy shit if you don't have credit.

I can see your point with regards to disputed charges, but honestly, I've never had to dispute a charge. I will however say that I'm real picky with what I buy and who/where I buy it from.

I also like CCs as business expenditure cards, but for all my personal stuff, I'll just stick to debit

Sorry if this post seems overly negative. I really do like it here. I'm seeing more fun cars here than back home, the food is better and so far it's been a pretty good experience.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0