View Single Post
      02-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #309
harris69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3/4, 1984 533i,1997 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Honestly....looks pretty well thought out. Biggest thing to remember is that you need to be tracking progression if aren't already. But you always want to be on that cusp of almost overtraining. I'm a big believer in that it's not that your muscles can't recover as its been proven hypertrophy can occur even when a muscle isn't 100% recovered.

I believe that your body's Central Nervous System is our biggest crippling factor. Right now my workout is set up as a 3 on 1 off. But it's very common for that to change to a 2 on, 1 off, or 3 on and 2 off.

In other words, if I feel I need the extra rest day, I take it. So I don't ha e day's with specific muscle groups....I have workout days. Chest may be on a Monday one week, but on a Wednesday at some other point.
I follow the KISS formula. I don't get into complicated workout routines, and keep track of progression by doing 2 sets of 10 of all compound movements. Once I am able to finish my working sets I move up 10 lbs on all exercise except for OHP (only 5 lb). There is no complicated pyramids, or dropsets (although they have their own place in training) but doing it this way I always remember what weights I did previously. Volume is right where it needs to be and I don't constantly miss gym due to doms. Only downside to doing 10 reps is strength comes at a slower pace than 531, but without making notes this is easiest I could come up with.

Big thing with any training regimen (no matter what the frequency, or volume is) is sticking with the basics- compound movements. I often find people in the gym killing themselves on isolation exercises. Most of the older big guys I see are mostly on machines.

Most people have no idea on how to train for functional strength. To give you an example I see alot of people doing front raises. I have not touched front raises in over 5 years as I don't feel the need to over develop my front delts. Instead I work on rear delts as that is what I feel is the most underdeveloped head of the delt.
Appreciate 0