Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
So many things inaccurate in your text.

Z4 is only offered RWD, no xDrive option. Base model is one wheel, m model has LSD.

Top retains the internal temperatures just fine. HavenÂ’t had any issues with the blower working harder to maintain temps, either in summer or winter. Also have heated seats and steering wheel so sure that helps keep me warm, but that wouldnÂ’t regulate internal temps of the cabin.

Coming from a m240ix coupe to this vehicle, this car is by far more balanced, minimal body roll from the factory, and I donÂ’t notice any flex in the body when doing hard corners, stops, or accelerations, even with the top down. BMW made this frame one of the most solid convertibles out there.

Sure, a convertible top can fade and crack from extreme temperatures, so can paint if not properly maintained. These rag tops are not the same ones that came on old caddyÂ’s. They have evolved to withstand the tough elements. IÂ’m sure replacement cost of a convertible cloth is similarly priced to having your roof stripped/prepped/painted after years of enduring the elements.

The top can be cut? ThatÂ’s a sorry excuse to not get a convertible. Look at the convertible structure on realOEM and youÂ’ll see that itÂ’s solid on top and the articulating areas are reinforced, about the same position where the roll bars are located. Good luck cutting your way inside to steal stuff!

Also with cutting the top just to be vandals, they can also key your car, break your window, slice a tire, break a light. Having a convertible doesnÂ’t attract vandals. They will damage a vehicle whether itÂ’s a convertible or a hard top.

Vehicle thefts arenÂ’t higher with convertibles than they are with hard tops strictly because they have a cloth top. Thieves look for cars that are easily stolen due to weak security systems. ThatÂ’s why civics and Chrysler products are high on the most stolen list year after year. Sure, your cousinÂ’s z3 was stolen by slicing the top, but did his vehicle have an active alarm like the z4, with motion sensors that sense movement within the cabin space when armed? The G29 Z4 does have this. Why I can leave my top down while I run inside the store because the alarm will sound if anyone reaches into the cabin space. IÂ’m not saying it will stop thieves, so always hide your belongings and close compartments if you do this to deter thieves. This is the same principle with a hard top vehicle as well though.

Also with your cousins z3 compared to the G29, IÂ’m pretty sure his z3 didnÂ’t have the capabilities for active tracking like the G29 does with BMW Connected drive. Whether you have a subscription or not, you can contact BMW and provide your information and authorize them to track the vehicle for the authorities. This deters would be car thieves from targeting modern BMWs. Not saying they wonÂ’t happen, but it requires additional tools and knowledge that most thieves donÂ’t put effort into.

I can understand and respect your dislike of the styling. Vehicles arenÂ’t made to please everyone because itÂ’s impossible. TheyÂ’re made to please the majority so there will always be people who dislike styling of any vehicle.

One last thing to rant about, you may think Toyota may have been more practical when it comes to a DD, but this is subjective. They both have damn near ode ticket storage capacity, with the Supra having the advantage with the trunk being integrated with the cabin like Nissan does with their Zs and Chevy with the corvette. However, their body design has one of the largest flaws when it comes to coupes and thatÂ’s wind buffeting with the windows down. This has been brought up by almost every car review of the Supra. At speeds above 45mph, there is an unbearable wind buffeting in the cabin and the windows need to be put up to prevent it. The Z4 doesnÂ’t have this issue with the top up and windows down, even at highways speeds of 70+ mph. Again, this is subjective as some would never have the windows down at speeds above 45mph so it may not be an issue for them. For me, thatÂ’d be problematic because living in Florida, window down weather comes and goes so the top doesnÂ’t always go down when driving.
The fact that it doesn't come with AWD is just a reinforcement that it is indeed a summer toy or for warmer climate only. I was talking about the previous Z4. BMW knows that a soft top will not work in the winter, hence since there is no hard top there is no AWD either. Logic and straight to my point.

In regards with the heat loss, please, let's leave it where it is. There is heat loss, there is a problem and there is also a problem with the temperature difference between the two environments. There are problems with leaks, condensation, and moisture after shut off the engine at - low temps. That's why I am saying that is not a winter car.
The previous hard-top model with awd was suitable as an all-year rounder. The new one is not.

At -45C that roof will crack in time. Your comparison with "not maintained paint" is a joke I hope. No paint will crack at that temperature and never cracked in any car I have ever owned, including some that stayed literally outside in -40 all their life (I can put pictures with car at -45 outside and the day I sold it so you can see the paint like in the first day). There is no "maintenance" required. In fact the vert requires more maintenance. I am a maintenance freak, and the paint never required a "maintenance". Paint cracks only on areas where it was an accident and was repaired with crap filler that was added to repair. A proper repaired area will never crack.

The roof has reinforcements but it can be easy cut. A cut just to open the vehicle is enough, don't need to work hard to get in. It is much easier to steal it.
Most cars have sensors today but when Police gives it back to you after 3 months full of forensic ink and damaged, I rather not find it ever than receive a damaged car.

The body is without any doubt solid, yet, try it in cold, park it at some -10 outside, let it freeze and then go over a road bump or take it out of the driveway with one wheel at the time and you will hear your top twisting. Common, you can't deny the structural differences.

In regards with Toyota, I said that is more practical and I believe that they were smarter for offering a Coupe style. A vert is a very minimal niche, a Coupe is a much wider niche and address to a wider spectrum of customers. Either way, I do not like the design anyway.

Again, nice vehicle for the ones who live in warm climate but not a good year-rounder for the rest. With the soft only and no AWD, BMW clearly underlined this statement.
Appreciate 0