01-05-2020, 01:25 AM   #60
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
The fact that it doesn't come with AWD is just a reinforcement that it is indeed a summer toy or for warmer climate only. I was talking about the previous Z4. BMW knows that a soft top will not work in the winter, hence since there is no hard top there is no AWD either. Logic and straight to my point.

In regards with the heat loss, please, let's leave it where it is. There is heat loss, there is a problem and there is also a problem with the temperature difference between the two environments. There are problems with leaks, condensation, and moisture after shut off the engine at - low temps. That's why I am saying that is not a winter car.
The previous hard-top model with awd was suitable as an all-year rounder. The new one is not.

At -45C that roof will crack in time. Your comparison with "not maintained paint" is a joke I hope. No paint will crack at that temperature and never cracked in any car I have ever owned, including some that stayed literally outside in -40 all their life (I can put pictures with car at -45 outside and the day I sold it so you can see the paint like in the first day). There is no "maintenance" required. In fact the vert requires more maintenance. I am a maintenance freak, and the paint never required a "maintenance". Paint cracks only on areas where it was an accident and was repaired with crap filler that was added to repair. A proper repaired area will never crack.

The roof has reinforcements but it can be easy cut. A cut just to open the vehicle is enough, don't need to work hard to get in. It is much easier to steal it.
Most cars have sensors today but when Police gives it back to you after 3 months full of forensic ink and damaged, I rather not find it ever than receive a damaged car.

The body is without any doubt solid, yet, try it in cold, park it at some -10 outside, let it freeze and then go over a road bump or take it out of the driveway with one wheel at the time and you will hear your top twisting. Common, you can't deny the structural differences.

In regards with Toyota, I said that is more practical and I believe that they were smarter for offering a Coupe style. A vert is a very minimal niche, a Coupe is a much wider niche and address to a wider spectrum of customers. Either way, I do not like the design anyway.

Again, nice vehicle for the ones who live in warm climate but not a good year-rounder for the rest. With the soft only and no AWD, BMW clearly underlined this statement.
Wow, so much nonsense with your post. You've clearly never owned a soft top, but you speak with all the confidence of a long time owner. The term "confidently wrong" comes to mind...

I've owned an xdrive m235 soft top and taken it through -40 weather and I was nice and toasty inside. The heater was not running any harder than usual. It was one of the best cars I've owned in the winter.

Our m40 z4 will see all weather, and is daily driven. Good winter tires and an LSD will help keep it moving.
SakhirM410784.50
Joe2402925.00