12-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #1709
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
It has been a very long time since I have owned a pet. I grew up with 2 different breeds of dogs (in different states) a Boxer and Husky, both males.
I also have spent time around cats (females) from my relatives and friends homes.

So we have decided to get our first family dog since marriage and my 2 children.Yasuda over 2 decades! My wife, children and I specifically wanteda smaller breed that would mostlybe Indoors. Here's my question...
Between Male and Female, specifically for those of you with small breeds, what have you noticed as far as: demeanor, training, communication, territorial, and overall character differences?
We have had a male and a female together twice, in both cases King Charles Cavaliers. In the first case, the female was about 6 mos. older and in the second, the male is a little over 2 years older. It may vary by breed, but we have found out 2 males to be more affectionate and loyal and the females to be more bossy, for lack of a better term. Each of the four have some similar personality traits, yet all four have distinct personalities of their own. Our current male has some anxiety issues around other dogs he doesn’t know and acts like he is a tough guy despite weighing in at 20 lbs. (we are working with him but not easy to resolve). I don’t think you can go wrong with either male or female. The differences are fairly subtle.