View Single Post
      12-30-2020, 09:57 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'll chime in.

Been a life long motorcyclist from 13 years old. My first motorcycle was a dirt bike, a 1974 Indian ME100A (Googleit ). Even in 1974 it was almost impossible to get parts for it. The bike used a Taiwanese copy of a Rotax 100cc thumper. The shifter mechanism was a POS and used a 5-bump cam plate that wore out and I had to reweld material on it, then re-file the profiles. I was 14 years old at the time... It was a great learning experience.

Anyway, I think your question needs context. What type of motorcycle is it and how big is it, and what is your level of tolerance for kneeling and lying on the floor while turning wrenches? Wheel, brake and tire work is a PIA unless the bike is lifted or has a centerstand. Most motorcycle engines are compact and need smaller tools, which you may not currently have in your tool set. The valves are tiny on most engines and use solid lifters that require periodic adjustment. If the bike you are considering has sat for a while and was not properly stored, expect the carburetor(s) to be trash. That means cleaning or replacing the jets and then synching the carbs, which requires a multi-gauge vacuum gauge set. If it's really old, look forward to replacing all the vacuum lines.

If you have good automotive wrench skills they mostly translate over to motorcycles, other than the platform is a bit different and getting a comfortable work height is difficult because motorcycles are unstable from the outset and get more unstable as you remove components.

While I enjoy working on cars, motorcycles not so much. If I would invest in a lifting apparatus to get to a comfortable working height I'd like it more, but I'm not willing to commit to it. My current bike is a 20 year old Honda Valkyrie, which is a flat-6 full-dress cruiser. I usually let a pro handle most of the repairs above oil changes, plugs and electrical issues above the seat level. It's a Honda, so it doesn't break much, and I don't ride much anymore so maintenance is few and far between. I have a Clymer's for it, which has been adequate to keep it maintained. Before the Valk, I had a Honda CBR 1000 Hurricane and a Kawasaki Concours, both with in-line 4's and each was a PIA to work on.

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5159.50