View Single Post
      02-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #38
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I've grown up with the internet. I wish I was grown up prior to it. So I'd have a better viewpoint.

But from my limited knowledge, it's a tool the same as all other tools. If you don't know how to properly use it or have a goal of usage in mind, it will be abused. You can't neglect it and hope it'll fix itself.

I have FB. Nothing else. I have very few friends/acquaintances (real life the same). I will unfriend at will if that person continually posts things I'm not looking to read/hear about. Any political rhetoric, I ignore them. Start posting conspiracy BS, they are dead to me. Everyone I've friended knows I'm only in it for the car stuff and associated. I'll veer off from time to time, but I always pull back.
If I didn't have it I wouldn't have been able to meet some really cool people and made some great friends.

Now as a human race we somehow always gravitate to the worst of things. That gets more air time and we start to believe that everything involved with that thing is evil.
... I blame that on how the 'news' has very little if any happy news ...
Thing is there is far more good than evil. It just doesn't get the publicity or create a lasting memory in our brains.

Just think about all the birthday parades that where organized and shared on social media during this covid bs. That is something that would not have been able to be done without it. Those kids/adults will remember that for a long time.

The 'find a killer' type of groups that are trying/solving cold cases, missing persons, identifying suspects; not possible without social media.

All the people that have been able to reconnect with lost friends, schoolmates, military friends, etc. Not possible without it.

I don't like the hey look at me stuff. But that's always been around. People will peacock with or without social media. The media just allows more to see it. Doesn't mean you have to look. TMZ is not real life. Meme's are not life.
If you set a goal for using the tool you can find it to be quite useful. If you don't have a goal and just let it run wild, you won't like the result. Govern your own life accordingly.
Appreciate 1
Buug95918139.50