02-21-2021, 02:38 PM   #255
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
i dont want to get in the way of the conversation but...

in old times, drivers heads was sticking out from the car, almost all their body was exposed, they were in a car like a ticking bomb.. but in those days that was the technology.. i dont think if they had a chance they d risk their life that much now.. it was just the tech at that time Chappers..

if the "risk" is the ultimate real man definition.. bike racers should lead that group even today..but even they have some gear at track and their barriers etc. setup'ed for them.. except Isle of Man..
Exactly, they were all big balled, hairy chested, drinking, smoking, womanasing, gambling non pc MEN that raced as fast & hard as they could knowing that they stood a fair chance of dying, like I said 'real' men

I suspect in the early days of F1 from 46 up to the late 60's a lot of those guys would have had that 'devil may care' attitude from the war, would they risk their lives so nonchalantly if they raced nowadays, I suspect not....which is kinda my point, attitudes were different back then & as for the pre war 'gentlemen ' racing drivers.....they were in a different league
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 2
yco5766.50