Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
All true. In "normal" situations where you've only added darkness and maybe rain on a smeary windshield with glare from oncoming headlights, I'm still 100% sure the Tesla is better than me with my Lasik induced halos and all. But yeah, add in the real unknowns like a construction barricade haphazardly placed in the road and some debris blowing across your path while a drunk on a bicycle wobbles around in front of you. I can see how the X factors can easily pile up and cause the computer to give up. But these are all just data inputs and the reason it gives up is because it's not got the smarts yet to understand and deal with them. Not that there's too many and it's overwhelmed. That's where the computer will always beat the human; intaking and processing massive amounts of info. it's only a matter of time. Our days piloting a car better than a computer are numbered.
The Tesla most definitely has vision trouble, also. I have a 2019 model 3. The onboard cameras do not handle direct sunlight and flickering sunlight/shadows very well. Most every time I drive it, I get a message that says the "autopilot" is unavailable because one of the B pillar cameras is not working. That happens when the sun is shining directly on the B pillar camera and when there are shadows flickering across the B pillar camera.

The Tesla "autopilot" also randomly jams on the brakes because it senses an obstacle on the road ahead, even though there is nothing there. At highway speeds, it scares the crap out of me and could easily cause an accident.

I absolutely refuse to use the "autopilot" when I drive that car. And I put autopilot in quotes because that device is not really capable of autonomous function. At least, I don't trust it to work autonomously. At best, it should be labeled as, and used as, a driver's aid.
Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11484.00
Efthreeoh17486.00
GrussGott18207.50