View Single Post
      04-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #9169
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
You should check out an aircraft engine some time. For example, the Lycoming 0-360 is a 360 cubic inch 4 cylinder engine that makes 180 BHp. That's it.

They are over-engineered to the nth degree and have so many redundant systems - 2 sets of spark plugs running on 2 separate magnetos (not reliant on the battery working at all). They are very reliable, and they're generally maintained impeccably. You can't compare them to someone's car that might get an oil change once every few years if it's lucky. They have strict maintenance intervals that must be adhered to.
Its not the concept that bothers me, I judge the person heavily (and the quality of the visible safety wiring, ha). IF something goes wrong the margin for error is just not the same as in a car.

In fairness Im picky as sh*t on all things. If your interior is trashy or a bulb is out I also wouldn't volunteer to go on a road trip with you, thinking I don't want to get stranded in BFE because of a breakdown. Funnily my ex thought I always drove for sexist reason, the truth is I just thought her car was a poorly maintained POS.
Appreciate 0