TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Long story short: I took the Z4 out last night for a quick trip to Burger King about 5 minutes away. I did not open the sunroof at all during the trip. I drove home and parked the Z4 in the garage. A few hours later and just before going to bed, I checked the garage to make sure the door was closed. That's when I noticed the front fender indicator lights on my Z4 were lit. I thought that was strange so I checked the car out. The battery was completely dead and would not charge with the BMW supplied trickle charger. Today my friend brought over a 30amp heavy duty battery charger and we were able to start the car after about 5 minutes of charge. There were errors being reported by IDrive about checking to ensure the soft top was locked. Of course it was locked, but it also would not open either. I dropped the car off at the dealership where they told me (few minutes ago by phone) that the soft top module is not responding and they need to get one from Germany. Expect about 3 or 4 weeks for delivery. They also said I could have the car back in the meantime, but the battery could die again because of whatever issue the car has now.

Since my car is a lease, should I request reimbursement from BMW if I can't drive it or use the soft top for a month? Something tells me BMW does nothing in such cases, but I thought I would ask. Summer is short enough here in Canada so not having the soft top working for a month is a bit letdown. That's the reason I have the car is because it is a converible.

And on a side note, I hope they checked all the fuses and this isn't just a case of a blown fuse.

Rob
Sorry to hear. Understanding it is a lease, wouldn't the dealer provide you a loaner until they can properly fix the car? That's what happens in the South in my experience. I would also check the lease for warranty/ loss of use issues. There may be a remedy in there like suspending payment, whether or not pro-rated.
Appreciate 0