05-13-2022, 08:22 AM   #6
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVHoo View Post
The boxster's mid-engine design makes it a better handling car compared to the Z4 but here are the things that put the Z4 on my next car list:
1. Better performance per $
2. Exclusive - everyone owns a boxster and you rarely see a G29
3. Much more useful trunk space. While the boxster has more space, it's split between front and back. The Z4 trunk is much more practical for long trips and has room for a compact spare if that is your desire (which it is for me in long trips in the rural southwest where I am often 50+ miles from a garage).
5. The totally enclosed engine compartment of a boxster means that you can't do a casual check of the engine belts, leaks, etc without dropping the undercover. Almost all DIY on a boxster is a PIA without a lift.
6. The cost of some of the "routine" maintenance is eye-watering if you plan to keep the boxster for any length of time. Had a friend take his 718 in for routine 40K mile service plus brakes and was charged $5K!
Thanks! I had a lot of those same observations! You are definitely correct about the trunk the Boxster rear trunk is extremely small it's only good for a little tiny things and while the frunk is deep it is not wide. Even though the two cars have the same combined storage the bigger rear trunk on the Z4 is actually more functional.

The price differential is what really got me. I'm in a financial position where I could buy either one but I'm not so well off that I wouldn't notice the difference. One of the things I really noticed about the BMW during the two days I had it was how well appointed it is, how many standard features the car came with, and what a value it was. I guess it's hard to really say that a relatively impractical 2 seat roadstetr that cost almost 70,000 is a "deal"… but when you're comparing it to a similarly equipped Porsche 718… it is definitely noticeably less expensive for relatively the same thing.

One thing I had really kind of wanted was a manual transmission. I have always had manual cars growing up and it was only recently that I gave them up totally - in fact the last one I had was a 986 Boxster. Honestly with the modern automatics of today I don't want to manual for my daily driver.. but if I had a little roadster I can see we're having a stick shift would really complement the other fun aspects of the car.

I have driven a few PDK Porsches - I did drive a base 718 a couple years ago. I rented that over a weekend and it was PDK equipped - well it was too far in the past to compare I just were thinking it was a ton of fun and I remember thinking it surprised me feeling quicker than I thought it would. I had wanted to try out an S model to see how much faster it felt.. but never did.

Ultimately I think the Z4 is going to prove to be the more practical and more economically sound decision and the only way a Boxster Will win out is if after driving them back to back I just fall in love with it and wouldn't be happy and anything else.

I'll definitely post back here once I get a chance to go out and try them out
Appreciate 1
Toon90235.00