View Single Post
      08-04-2022, 10:18 AM   #91
ebirotedu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 M40i

Yeah, agreed. Biggest reasons why I ended up with a Z4 instead of a Boxster:

- Availability - Months long wait for a Boxster; got my Z4 from an already-ordered dealer allocation 3 weeks after placing my deposit

- No ADM or other BS markups - good luck getting a Boxster at MSRP new, or at a reasonable price in the resale market (resale market markups are driving the new dealer inventory markups)

- Styling - I prefer the Z4's styling to the Boxster, in part because I like the traditional look associated with front-engine / RWD lineage roadsters (also, the Z4 looks great with the top up or down - many 'verts do not look good top up (Mercedes C-series, anyone?)). I get why some long-time BMW owners are put off by the styling - it's not obviously BMW except for the kidney grills.

- Performance - Good enough for me and with no practical difference for on-road use vs a Boxster. I'm not planning to track my Z4 at the moment, but I may in the future. At the minute, I mostly use the Z4 for weekend cruising of rural & mountain roads, occasionally applying the whip. I don't feel like I'd be any happier driving a Boxster.

- Value - The Z4 is a much better value in terms of features / amenities when comparing MSRPs; especially so with Porsche dealer markups.

For me, the only significant downside of owning a Z4 relative to a Boxster is resale if/when that's a consideration - it's not going to be as good as a Boxster. That said, I usually buy cars thinking I'll keep them 10 years - I don't always, but assuming I do the difference in resale value may not matter much at all vs. if I were to sell or trade it in 3-5 years. With this car in particular, given that it's a 2-seater ICE powered roadster with no successor in the midst of a once-in-a-lifetime automotive shift from ICE to EV/PHEV, there's a good chance I will keep it at least that long.

Finally, I probably would have gone with a manual given a choice, but I've made my peace with that (happy with the ZF 8AT). If BMW dropped an M version, which seems highly unlikely, I might be motivated to switch depending upon the particulars (6MT, RWD, lighter, M-specific engine & bodywork). Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbonzo View Post
That's because the Boxster\Cayman are the cheapest models in Porsche's range and puts them within the reach of a lot more people.

I'll maintain that the Z4 is excellent value for money compared to the Boxster and apart from people who 'just want a Porsche' or can genuinely make the most of the better handling the Z4 is the better buy.

Last edited by ebirotedu; 08-04-2022 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 3
stlcdr1025.00