12-31-2022, 01:51 PM   #154
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
I didn’t even know they specced the M3 with AS… a crime if you ask me. Or are you replacing the summer tires with all seasons yourself? If so, I think I’m done with being your friend lol

What you need is to get your car with summer tires, and buy a set of wheels with winter tires. Then I can get onboard with your idea, because I have been having a tough time understanding your reasoning of “RWD in the winter is a bad idea”, understanding you’re not looking to lose performance in the winter… if you don’t have winter tires you won’t be able to drive the car much anyway, so I think your third car needs to be a car that you love. In this case, I’d keep the M340i you already have after lease end. Buy it out.

If you have winter tires and drive the M3 most of the time, then yes get a simpler less fun car for the exceptional days.
It's specced with summer tires, but my plan is to run all seasons in the winter - then the 3rd car can run winters and I'd drive the 3rd car if it ever snows or we have slippery conditions in general.

I'm weary of doing a dedicated winter/summer setup on the m3 because of how unpredictable the weather is in Chicagoland. I've been burned before... got caught in a random and severe snowstorm much earlier than was originally forecasted in my RWD IS350 on summer tires. It was an ice rink for my car and im still surprised I made it home that day.

So my plan is summers when we know for sure that there's no risk of snow (june/july/august/september), then all seasons for the remainder of the year. The days where we have frigid below freezing Temps and/or snow or just a shithole combination of salt and sleet, I'll fire up that 3rd car.

I HAVE thought about just buying out my m340 and keeping it... but it's a little big (go figure) and buyout will be $40k. Still, it's not totally out of the question...

But to answer your questions and maintain friends..

- yes I will be using summer tires in the summer months on the m3
- the 3rd car would only be used in 3 situations: in times of truly inclement weather, when my wife needs a car but doesn't have access to the x7, and when we have family visiting and staying with us.

So even 3,000 miles a year might be a bit on the higher end.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima

Last edited by wtwo3; 12-31-2022 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 2