View Single Post
      01-08-2023, 10:50 AM   #1110
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
.I also have a garage and solar for home charging which would keep the cost down even further..
Something to consider: most with home solar aren't able to thoroughly capitalize on it for EV charging. If you work away from home and during the day, that leaves you charging at night when there is little or no solar. Your costs are then subject to power company rate schemes and price changes. The two biggest power utilities in my area just raised rates 10% & 15% because of all the costs associated with ramping up capacity and related reliability that comes with that. This is going to get worse as EV's push the load imbalance further.

So-Cal power is already expensive, and setup to get a lot more expensive too as more switch to EV, which will push the cost even faster because more will load up the night time load and the time of day pricing in that time band will get worse because there is no nighttime solar. It's almost all carbon generation at night. Know the cost, and anticipate the increase in your analysis. Residential power only costs $.064 KWH where I live, and no time-of-day schemes, but my utility is fed by over 99% hydro. It's probably cheaper for me than most to own an EV, and solar here is pretty limited.
Appreciate 4
Cos270608.50
M5Rick61854.00