02-19-2023, 09:12 AM   #20
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
Tires heat up while driving, especially when driving fast, which makes air pressure increase due to the heat. If you're driving at 100+ mph, then the 38 psi recommendation listed in the owners manual is for *cold* inflation pressure.

Same for the max inflation pressure listed on your tire sidewall (as far as I know) - that's the max cold inflation pressure, it's actually fine if the pressure exceeds that number while you're driving.

The recommended pressure shown on the iDrive tire page is adjusted based on the current temperature (the tire pressure sensors also measure temperature). In iDrive you can go to the tire settings and choose whether you will be driving at over/under 100mph. Then, it'll always show you an accurate temperature-adjusted recommended tire pressure.
Thanks for the info. I would never set the iDrive tire option to over 100 mph as I rarely go that fast. That setting is probably for people taking their car to a track, right?

I was worried about how altitude would affect the tire pressure as I went from sea level to mile high over a couple of days. As it turned out, the heat of the tires was the main driver of the higher psi.
Appreciate 0