05-02-2023, 08:56 PM   #34
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
I just got the below email from my dealership note the highlighted parts seem contradictory. In 41 years of car ownership I've never had a battery last less than 5 years.

To view this email as a webpage, go here.

Habberstad BMW of Huntington

EXTENDING YOUR BMW'S BATTERY LIFE.
Dear John,

Original BMW Batteries are designed and tested to deliver a longer service life than conventional batteries. We recommend having your BMW model's battery checked at least twice per year and replaced about every three years.

Here Are 5 Ways to Extend the Life of Your BMW Battery:

Limit Short Drives
Turn Off All Your Lights
Visual Check of Battery Connections
Park in Cooler Areas
Take Good Care of Your BMW
When looking for a BMW replacement battery schedule an appointment online. Our staff would be delighted to assist you.

Keep your BMW running strong.
Learn More
Habberstad BMW of Huntington
945 E Jericho Turnpike, Huntington Station, NY 11746
If you're talking about older FLA batteries, 3 to 4 years was typical lifespan. Being in a hot climate like Florida, anything over 3 years was good. The last BMWs I had with FLA batteries (a 2002 325 and a 2006 525) got 4 years out of them. Around 2007, BMW switched to AGM batteries. In my experience, BMW AGM batteries last about 6 years.

One other suggestion is if you're doing lots of short trips or the car sits several days between use, a battery maintainer will help. I've used the CTEK (the same one that's branded by BMW) and had good results. BMW recommends using it at least once a month. About 2-3 days will bring it up to full charge.

The dealer's recommendation to have it checked twice a year sounds like a money maker for them. With the CTEK and a voltmeter, you can monitor it yourself. Let the CTEK charge it, then check the voltage with the engine off. It should be about 12.8 V. After a day or two of normal use without using the charger, check it again. If the voltage has dropped down around 12 V or so, it's showing its age. If it's down to 11.5 V in a couple days, it's time for a new battery.