Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
This post from Reddit saves me the trouble.

"The way people talk in this subreddit you would think Hamilton was testing McLaren f1 cars every week for the 10 odd years before 2007 since he first spoke to Ron Dennis as a child.
The fact is that he had his first real test here in September 2006 after winning the GP2 title(The test 2 years previously was for winning a young drivers award or something, BDRC or McLaren award, I forget)
Hamilton then did a normal amount of testing with De La Rosa in the 2006 spec car in winter testing(Alonso did one test in late 2006 in the 2006 spec McLaren car after Renault gave permission) but once 2007 arrived, Alonso tested the 2007 spec car first and did more overall testing than Hamilton in pre season testing as well as testing throughout the year.
Every single time people in here bring up Hamilton testing before his debut, they act like he did a million more testing days and laps than everybody else. Its simply not true"

On his second run at that Silverstone test he was already faster than their test driver PDeLaR.

And on McLaren favouring Hamilton...where do you guys get this nonsense.
McLaren were paying 2 time world champion big money to drive for them, why on earth would they favour the rookie driver.

No driver in recent F1 history had a such a successful rookie year and not in terms of points scored but in terms of who he was driving against.

Trying to rewrite history to knock one of the best drivers in F1 shows a remarkable lack of understanding of F1 or just blind Verstappen fandom.

Where did "only a handful of laps" go?

For the record, I consider LH one of the greats, same as Alonso. Yes, considering he was up against a 2 time WC, his performance was noteworthy.

What I find funny is when some LH fans use the words "destroyed" when talking about 2 drivers who finished with equal points.

As far as favoritism, yes, MCL did not favor LH over the 2 time champion, IN THE BEGINNING. But after Hungaroring, after the famous ALO blocking incident, precipitated by LH's blatant disregard of team orders on order of qualifying prompting ALO to block him, you can't state the same. Some LH fans focus only on the blocking incident. One can also make the argument that if LH had followed team orders in Hungary, it means no blocking incident, then ALO would not have been penalized and scored more points and won the WDC.

You don't need to embellish LH to make him look great.
Appreciate 4
Artemis30017.00
M5Rick61854.00