View Single Post
      08-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #19
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge
A couple of things play into that. The MAF's and ECU's on the BMW make it very difficult to do the same types of things you see on Supra's, Evo's, etc. Another is the S54's ability to sustain itself under that much additional pressure. To get 10.5 psi to be effective, you're upgrading rods and pistons and compression is usually lowered from 11.5 to 1 to 10/9.5 to 1. An additional problem is the size of the injectors. The injectors on the S54 are too small to handle the amount of fuel necessary to feed that much boost and replacing injectors on this car is a nightmare for tuners because they have to be mapped individually. The general consensus is that to get the S54 in a position to handle those 800, 900, 1000 HP type numbers (if it's even possible) that you basically replace so much that you've built a new motor and if you're going to spend that kind of money on upgrading it you may as well just build a new motor instead.
I agree that in order to get those kind of numbers, you are basically building a new engine, but that's what BHS does. I'll be sure to ask those guys next time I see 'em and I'll also try to get my hands of a copy of a dyno for one of their M3's. Maybe I'm just not remembering the numbers correctly, but I doubt it.
Appreciate 0