View Single Post
      12-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Terminal Tower observation deck and Frozen Lighthouse - Cleveland, OH

Yesterday I went with some friends to check out the observation deck atop Terminal Tower in downtown Cleveland. They reopened it earlier this year, after closing it since 9/11, and after they completed all of the historical renovations. The observation deck provided us with a 360 degree view of our city. Since it was a clear day, we were able to see about 30 miles in any direction!

Before going up the elevators to floor 42, we looked around Tower City because it was packed due to the holiday season. There were many shoppers looking for their last minute gifts, lines of kids getting their pictures taken with Santa, and holiday spirit was in the air.

This gingerbread house was modeled after the original one from the movie A Christmas Story, which is located only about a mile away.

We finally took the speedy elevators to the observation deck. Since it was obviously an indoor area and the weather in the area has been horrible for the past few weeks, many of the windows were quite dirty. The photos below are some of the best shots I was able to take with very little glare, since it was also very sunny.

Afterwards, we decided to check out the now nationally-famous frozen lighthouse. *Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my telephoto lens, so closeups of the lighthouse won't be seen here, but I took some awesome photos showing the extent of ice everywhere around here.

Can anyone guess what this is (below)?

This photo reminds me of I Am Legend.

All of us finally made it towards the end of the pier, where there was a vacant U.S. Coast Guard station. They still raise the flag every day there.

My friend here was in awe of this building. It looked like a gingerbread house encased in a thick 6" layer of ice!

In fact, the whole area around this end of the pier looked like we were on some other planet. I had not seen so much ice in my entire life!

It was like a beach made up of snow and ice.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Chewy734; 12-19-2010 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0