10-31-2016, 01:28 PM   #273
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
Just did a quick lookup and it appears to be the same for NC so long as you follow ATF regulations. Not sure what kind of caveats would make it hard to get, suppressor is a ton of paperwork and an 8 month waiting period here.
Most states have a requirement for notification of a Chief Law Enforcement Officer (for example, here in Ohio we have to get our NFA paperwork signed off on by a Sheriff). Fortunately, Ohio recently passed a law that basically compels a CLEO to sign off unless there is a valid reason not to (shall issue, basically.) For a long time Ohio Sheriffs could refuse to sign NFA paperwork at all just on the basis of "I don't want that in my county."

The other thing that makes full-auto's trickier than suppressors is the whole NFA registry thing. It was opened in 1968 and all privately-owned fully automatic weapons had to be registered. In 1986 the registry was closed, meaning the only full-auto weapons that can be legally bought and sold on the private market had to exist and have been registered prior to that. Obviously, as time goes on the number of those weapons that are both available for sale and functional gets smaller and smaller, so the prices just keep going up.

Suppressors aren't subject to the NFA registry so they are much more widely available.

Last edited by fravel; 10-31-2016 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0