View Single Post
      08-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #2316
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
I said this about 8 weeks ago when we thought there might be 3 specs of engine and there were rumours that one option was going to be dropped and EVERYONE thought it was the manual option that instead it would be that instead of having 3 power options that it would be cut down to 2 in order to match the already emissions certified 2 versions available in the X3M/X4M.
Yes, that was my prediction last year when ynguldyn first wrote about powertrain details:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1#post23905991

Still, the possibility that the manual transmission won't properly handle the torque produced by even the would-be baseline S58 as found in the standard X3/X4 M (and presumably the upcoming standard AWD M3/M4) has some merit. Factor in the likelihood that the S58+6MT combo will also be headed to the G87 M2 which will surely continue to be separated from the standard M3/M4 in part by having a lower engine output, and this idea has legs.

Quote:
I'm going to say there is 0% chance that 6mt and awd will be a thing.
I would agree.

But, the reason I asked ynguldyn the question in my post wasn't because I don't think we have honed in on the likely specs with a high degree of certainty. On the contrary, I think that the community has collectively pieced things together what is probably a pretty accurate picture of the G80's mechanical specifications. Rather, I am looking for 100% confirmation. And while I personally think that the exact engine output of the expected RWD 6MT model - whether it be the same as the standard AWD model or slightly less - to be a minor point, there is a vocal fanbase who is very concerned about that number.
Appreciate 0