vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
If they wouldn't offer 7+ year loans....I bet car prices would go down. Lots of people out there have no money sense at all.....as long as they can afford the payment, they don't care what the total cost is.
Car salespeople at the mass market marque dealers around here all negotiate based on the payment amount, not the purchase price. How much can you afford to pay per month? For an extra $5.00/month, you can have these nicer floor mats. The length of the loan is just another number to play with to hit the target payment, and let's face it many Americans can't multiply by 12 to realize that 84 months is a real long time to pay for something that isn't a house.

When I was negotiating my DW's new car back in June, the sales guy started to work up his 4-square based on payment. I told him that I am bringing my own financing, and all numbers will be in purchase price and not monthly payments. Between shutting down his 4-square shell game with no trade-in and making him negotiate on price and not payments, we really threw him off his game.....