11-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #2562
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
November 2019
  • It is possible F40/F44 will have a shortened lifecycle of 5 years without LCI (like we saw with the previous X5). As a total speculation, I wonder if this is because the current platform is not suitable for a proper BEV (the platform sibling Cooper SE is ridiculously weak sauce for 2019, while U06 and derivatives will hopefully be much better in that regard).
I think that's reasonable conjecture - the early EOP would make sense if they intend to genuinely compete in the small EV space next decade. Audi is going to be way ahead of the game due to the early development of MEB. I don't think Mercedes is too far behind.

That said, I am not optimistic about U06 or any other next generation sub-3 BMW at this point. I recall reading that the relationship with Great Wall is in peril due to disagreement about EV packaging and other technical considerations. And even if it were perfect, I am skeptical about the prospects for dynamically convincing EVs on legacy FWD architectures - it seems like the wrong answer to me. Volvo is debuting that type of setup in the Polestar 2 on CMA, so we'll see very soon how that turns out compared to the dedicated platform approach.
Appreciate 1
Frosty772.50