sourphish
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 i4 M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
Landscapes, cars, and portraits...well here's your problem, you're either looking at one or two lenses.

One lens would be the 18-200mm.

Two lenses would be a wide-angle and a telephoto. WA for the landscapes and cars, tele for the cars and portraits.

You're going to get better results if you went with two dedicated lenses, but of course that's more money out of the pocket.
I agree with TWiTCHY. You would get better results with 2 dedicated lenses. Don't forget you can always use craigslist to get good used lenses. I've never bought a single lens or body new, but all the ones I chose to buy are in absolute perfect condition and all from craigslist or FM. It's a good way to save money so you can buy more/better glass.

Anyway, back on topic. The nikon 12-24 is a great choice. Mine is extremely sharp and even on the crop sensor, it comes out to be 18mm which is very wide, great for your landscapes and car pictures. As for portraits, I would still probably use a 50mm since I don't want to be too close to the people (making them feel awkward in some cases) and I don't want to be too distant from them--kind of feels less personal? shrugs. Again, it just depends on what you're going to do with the lenses.