View Single Post
      04-18-2024, 09:12 AM   #13
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I'm not even talking about styling, though you could argue they continue to go down the wrong direction in that area too. I get it, they need to push boundaries. In some cases their 'edgy' initially unaccepted design language becomes mainstream and eventually looks good. (Though certain models like the pre-LCI E65 Bangle 7 will never look good no matter how hard one tries.)

I'm talking about the driving dynamics, and even the interior styling and materials. I've driven all sorts of non-M BMWs and they all have that distinct BMW feel. Excellent handling. Nice interior that is definitively BMW, like if you were to hide the badges and put a stranger in it, you'd still know it's a BMW.

I recently rented a G21 LCI 320d for a week. It definitely looks like a BMW, and I even LIKE the styling of the wagon over the sedan. But driving the thing? Sure it was comfortable and no real complaints, just that it didn't *feel* like a BMW. You could put Kia badges inside this thing and I wouldn't know the difference. Just soft and boring. No different than any other car on the market. No soul. I know the F30 gets a lot of hate for starting that downward path, but a friend of mine has a F30 328i with Dinan suspension bits and even that car felt more BMW like than the current G20.

The engine was nice, plenty of power for everyday driving and I averaged just over 50MPG though it was very light driving, nothing sporting or aggressive. They say nobody wants small Diesels in the USA... I do.
Weight, turbos, and electric steering. I don't necessarily blame BMW though, they have to comply with regulations that are getting more and more strict. If you want the true-blue BMW experience, go buy anything that has an EXX chassis designation.
Appreciate 4
eugenebmw1515.00
lowrydr3101689.00
Mavus2034.00