04-02-2015, 12:38 AM   #1
dailym3
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
'15 BMW M3  [0.00]
Driver aids - always a good thing?

Let me preface this question by acknowledging that I am sure statistics will say that many lives are saved because of driver aids of one sort or another. My question is a little deeper than that simple fact. I started driving in the mid-80s, pre-driver aids. I had a couple of high power, RWD cars over the years, with no driver aids. I feel like I learned the limits of those cars and how to drive them properly partially because if I overdid it, I knew there would be a consequence with no safety net. I have wondered about the downsides of things like TC, stability control, even (gasp) ABS. In some ways I think these systems provide that safety cushion that makes people rely on them a little too much. I wonder if my own skills have eroded a bit because these systems don't force me to maintain that complete feel and control of the car? I also think about the majority out there that aren't rabid car enthusiasts like we are...are they worse drivers because they can drive poorly and still occasionally get bailed out by their computers? One last thought...do designers still try to optimize the balance and handling of cars (for situations when driver aids are completely turned off), or are they relying on driver aids too much?
Appreciate 0