View Single Post
      03-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #79
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post
Why doesn't BMW ask GM how sharing platforms and multiple brands worked out for them? How long has it taken GM to shake their image of a cheaper vehicle based on cost savings in the 80's and 90's? I don't think they still have.

I also hear that FWD cars are cheaper to produce, so why not go full bore FWD?

The savings will never be passed to the customer, and only lead to a more average vehicle. I am now liking the prospect of a Porsche small sedan even more!
Because GM like VAG did one platform for various models and they were all monotonous , drove the same and extremely limited in every way possible.
They were not modular , therefore they could not distinguish each model which is why each model was the same size and had no redeeming character.

The current generation of BMWs are modular from a central architecture which allows modular elements and placement of firewalls , suspension and structure mounts to fit within each model. That is what is found in current BMW models.

The next generation follows the same idea but will embody an intelligent material mix in the heaviest points of the architecture and vehicle structure and allow for additional placement for electrification for the arrival of the eDrive models starting with the X5 and 2er Active Tourer as shown with their initial concept cars.