Imperial
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90rocks
MANY DISPLEASED WITH BMW AIRBUS DESIGNS

AP, Paris 3/18/06 - Passengers in the new Airbus complained that their cupholders were too small. They couldn't fit their skymall catalogues in the pocket in the seat in front of them. iPod accessory plugs were available, but the channels were not visible, and MP3 CD player compatability will not be available until the next software upgrade.

Pilots complained that the airspeed indicator was optomistic, and that the automatic dimmer made commercial jets indistinguishable from fighter aircraft. Additionally, older pilots preferred the multiple toggle switches to the irritating iFly interface. Copilots did not like the uniform orange glow of the instrument panel, and felt that the mpg meter was unnecessary. Diminuative flight attendants would also trigger the "Airbag OFF" indicator whenever sitting in the jump seat.

Ground crews in LAX were repeatedly having to apply Zaino because of swirls left from wing washings in Newark. Airline personnel vowed to never go with Sparkling Graphite again. An inordinate amount of brake dust seems to collect on the wheels as well.

Finally, air personnel have begun to circulate a petition for BMW to dismiss designer Chris Bangle, claiming that the new tail design makes the whole plane look like a Boeing. "What is this, JAL?" ranted one petitioner.

All kidding aside, if I were to get BMW to do anything for a plane, it would be to make an engine, not design the interior!

And yes, the 1700 hp 801 engine for the Focke Wolf FW 190A was a BMW product, and one of the finest in the skies over Europe. They probably would have done better against the P-51 mustangs if they hadn't lost so many good pilots by then. They did develop a jet engine, but Junkers beat em to it as far as production, for use in the ME 262. The BMW engine was later used to power a MiG-9 prototype in Russia.

This could be one of the best posts EVER. Seriously. I do agree, too, that if BMW were to do anythign for a jet, it should be the engine, not the interior. If anyone, I'd like to see Audi do interior treatments for jets as I do believe they do astounding interiors. Kudos also on the BMW airplane engine knowledge