vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
What did I miss? What happened, a pipe froze while you were away. Hope you're back to normal soon.
Our well water is sooooooo nasty that it eats through copper pipes. We have 1-3 pipe ruptures every year, all of them on long horizontal runs in the basement. Around the holidays, a vertical pipe in the wall of our laundry room popped, making a mess of the sheetrock and sub-flooring. We cut/capped both pipes in the basement, and have been living without a washing machine since late December.

I was so upset with the pipes being eaten alive by the water that I booked a plumber to rip out every shred of copper pipe in our entire house and replace it with PEX (plastic) tubing. My scope of work included a central plastic distribution manifold with individual shutoff valves, and each faucet run to one of those manifold valves with no splices whatsoever between the manifold and faucet connector. The plumber that I chose to do the job thought that I was crazy to rip out copper when he was quoting the project, but saw first hand this morning why I did it when he snapped the bathroom sink valve off trying to disconnect the faucet hose with his bare hands.

Anyway, since it was a long-planned project, I had a few weeks of lead time to order a high end porta-potty with flushing toilet and a sink. I'm hoping that they will be done in an hour or so, but have the porta-potty for another day just in case it runs into tomorrow.....