View Single Post
      10-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #26
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Whoa i wish i can do all that myself . I did like exhaust changing etc and hid lights on my previous car but not sure about your situation. Did you just get afternarket parts and do youtube or something? And how did you find out which products needed to change? Was it like oil change and then did quick diagnostic and it came up?
Its really not that hard, the n63 looks VERY intimidating at first but really its quite easy to work on EXCEPT for the intake manifold...have to pull the head or drop the engine for that...Everything else is pretty easy...just a TON of work to get to the part you need and thus why its so expensive to take it in...labor hours kill ya. Yep Youtube is a great help also visting the newtis site for the official BMW info. Just take it slow, take lots of pics, and double and triple check all your work and really anybody can work on these cars. Does takes alot of special tools and patience (and a second car cause a valve stem seal replacement is 50+ hour job!).

I am taking my time and going to clean up the carbon on the pistons and heads while I have it off. They are nasty after 150k. I will do a write up the catch cans when I have it back up. BMW only applies -.95 psi negative back pressure which is dumb. I put in adjustable valves and set it to a proper -10psi. Nice boost in off-idle and part throttle performance plus allowed me to get 1500 miles per quart of oil burned with the crappy valve seals vs 700 with the stock CCV setup. Only doing them now as I was to crank the boost and oil/carbon in your combustion chambers at high boost = bad things happen!

If you are really interested in making your own CC setup, you can read my post more about it here: https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...3&postcount=14
Attached Images

Appreciate 1