08-15-2019, 07:13 AM   #10
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Test drove this Z4 this morning. Was looking for an M40i to test but it would have meant travelling further so settled on the 30i.
The ride was good, firm without being crashy. Being the 30i in M Sport Plus guise, this one had adaptive suspension. Running on 255/35 and 275/35 section tyres, the ride would have been pretty harsh without it, I'd imagine. The car felt planted with nicely weighted steering.
Was testing in an urban environment so didn't get much of chance to accelerate hard. When I did, the engine pulled well, and the noise wasn't bad for a 4 pot. A bit synthetic but at least you could hear it.
The seats were nice and supportive and the interior all looked good, apart from the silver dash buttons which were a bit down market compared with the ones around the gear selector. The car is really wide, by the way, so you don't feel hemmed in at all.
Really didn't like the new digital cockpit, I'm sorry to say. Looked like a car video game to me, too busy and pretty tacky.
The roof operated quickly and the sound proofing with the roof in place was surprisingly good.
With the roof in place, visibility out of the back is poor, and there's obviously a blind spot over your right shoulder, which is unnerving at some junctions. The reversing camera is a 'must have' option.
Overall, I liked the car. More of a GT than a pure sports car, from the 30mns I had in it - which wouldn't be a bad thing for me, given that I'd use it for touring and longer distances, in the main.
Need to try the M40i next. Its a lot heavier, I believe, but I'm used to the B58 in my 4GC so it would be good to see how well it performs in the Z4.
The all black exterior trim with bi colour black alloys on the M Sport Plus model I tested really looked the business. Better than the cerium grey trim and wheels on the M40i, imo.
I'll see what the discounts are like this time next year when I'll be looking to change in anger. The sales guy said that with Brexit around the corner, they were giving massive discounts for pre end September registered cars. I suspect he wasn't telling porkies either. Good time to get a new car, I guess. Pity I'm not in the market for one right now.
As you know a I have gone for a Z4 M40i as similar to you I love and and I'm used to the B58 engine in my 440i GC. From the test drive I had the B58 engine and exhaust sounded fantastic in the Z4 all be it with a bit of fakery in there also.

The 30i gets some great reviews by the way and also and seen plenty of YouTubers testing these and they are pretty impressed with the car and engine package. As you noted they sound good as well for a 4 pot.

I can't rember if I have posted this before but this is the discount achievable on a Z4 M40i (in the UK).

List Price £52,635 OTR
dealer contribution £7185
Customer price £45,450.
Customer deposit £5000 then 47 x £567.40 plus GFV £19,592.02

based on 12K miles pa
APR 4.9%